Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help getting a brewery set up and running.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help getting a brewery set up and running.

I am In the stages of trying to get a brewery started I am just not exactly sure where to start. I have been looking at building and have a few possibilities. I am a home brewer and dont have have experience with the commercial equipment. I have toured several brewery's and have some what of an idea. I am from a small town in Montana with about 6000 people. I am not sure how to find out how much beer to expect to sell a day and how big of a system i would need and how much of each particular pieces.. I am thinking maybe 5 different kinds of beer on tap and also trying to get my beer into restraints in town and the surrounding areas. Is there a company or someone that you could hire to set up all the equipment and help you learn the new equipment until your ready to run it yourself? Like I said in the beginning, I am gathering as much information as I can right now so anything you can tell me would help prepare us for this big jump and mighty investment would be very helpful.

Thank you guys for your help

Joel

of course theres help. how much money do you have to spend on all of this?

Comment

well I have some money set aside and I also have a few people that are willing to invest with me. From what I have heard for others is plan on spending around 500 thousand for the building and everything. I'm not sure if that is way overboard or not.

Comment

Overboard is relative. Mine is 5 million. Totally depends on your objectives. Objectives maybe should be kept in line with experience. 500k is probably plenty for a small system in a few thousand feet of cheap space while possibly leaving a couple dollars in the bank to help you pay the bills in the beginning. Might be a good idea to evaluate your experience, team and plan before you really know how much you need... Are you the brewer? is this all for a tap room? Do you know anything about beer wholesalers etc... You can email me, I'm glad to provide constructive free advice..
        Cheers and best wishes..
        JW

Comment

yes I am the brewer this would be a tap room I live in Montana I dont plan on getting to big just try to have maybe one or 2 of my beers on tap at a few restraints around town and small towns not to far away. Whats your email? I am just in the beginning stages and really dont know how to go about anything.

Comment

I am not a brewer, but can probably explain the process better than most home brewers. It's my understanding that brewing on a commercial system is entirely different than on your home brew system. Do you know how to carbonate to 2 volumes for example? Will you mash single infusion or step mash? If your goal is just a few restaurants, you are in a money losing proposition. That may be fine... 500 is way too much for that. I'm oakhillace gmail. will check it tomorrow...

Comment

Ok i just emailed you let me know if it went threw tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Joelr View Post
                I am In the stages of trying to get a brewery started I am just not exactly sure where to start. I have been looking at building and have a few possibilities. I am a home brewer and dont have have experience with the commercial equipment. I have toured several brewery's and have some what of an idea. I am from a small town in Montana with about 6000 people. I am not sure how to find out how much beer to expect to sell a day and how big of a system i would need and how much of each particular pieces.. I am thinking maybe 5 different kinds of beer on tap and also trying to get my beer into restraints in town and the surrounding areas. Is there a company or someone that you could hire to set up all the equipment and help you learn the new equipment until your ready to run it yourself? Like I said in the beginning, I am gathering as much information as I can right now so anything you can tell me would help prepare us for this big jump and mighty investment would be very helpful.

Thank you guys for your help

Joel
                Hi Joel,
                I opened a brewery in the early 2000s in a small Montana town with a pop (at that time) of around 3000 if you included all the dogs! A decade and a half later and we are still brewing away. Opening and running a brewery in very small towns poses unique challenges.
                But please feel free to contact me with questions and/or concerns or if you want to chat about your project (info@glacierbrewing.com). I remember that feeling of sitting on top of a thousand questions. I also offer professional consulting on brewery startups and expansions.

Prost!
                Dave
                Glacier Brewing Company
                406-883-2595
                info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

brewery planning

Hi Joel

we are a custom brewery tank manufacture and we also provide consulting services to help with brewery start ups

Wayne Ripley 250-494-94310 ext 103 or wayne@ripleystainless.com

thanks

Comment

Sorry to piggyback on this, but, I have been a lurker on here for almost a year. It sounds to me like Joelr is in a very similar situation to myself.

I don't want to get into a ton of details and derail this thread, but, is it possible that I too could get some complimentary advice from the few who have offered it on here as well? I would greatly appreciate someone who has gone through this to help me untangle to questions.

TIA.

FutureBrewr at gmail
                    Last edited by Brewer_Dean; 02-22-2017, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I knew Glacier Dave would offer to help!!! - always does!!

Joel - having in-state advice from him would be priceless.

I'm willing to offer you what I've learn from all the research and reading I've done re: starting my brewery. It'll be free, and you get what you pay for...... I have ZERO real world commercial experience, but have asked a million questions, know a little bit about commercial buildings and code, and have built our business plan. I have a huge home brewery with commercial level gadgets, for what that's worth......

-Jeremy.
                      Jeremy Reed
                      Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
                      The North of 48 Brewing Company
                      Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

I know montana well. The craft boom is kicking off there but has low overall state population. There would be room for you if you have quality products if you dont it would be a gamble as key breweries have built brand loyalty out there. Since you dont have probrewer knowledge I will expect you to struggle. Your best bet is to hire a pro brewer consultant to work for you for several months doing to the brewing and not yourself to mitigate your lack of brewing experince.
                        Last edited by Jedi; 02-22-2017, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brewer_Dean View Post
                          Sorry to piggyback on this, but, I have been a lurker on here for almost a year. It sounds to me like Joelr is in a very similar situation to myself.

I don't want to get into a ton of details and derail this thread, but, is it possible that I too could get some complimentary advice from the few who have offered it on here as well? I would greatly appreciate someone who has gone through this to help me untangle to questions.

TIA.

FutureBrewr at gmail
                          Hi Brewer Dean,
                          Sure, shoot me an email at info@glacierbrewing.com.

Prost!
                          Dave
                          Glacier Brewing Company
                          406-883-2595
                          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Hey Dave - how much experience did you have when you started up??

-J.
                            Jeremy Reed
                            Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
                            The North of 48 Brewing Company
                            Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Jer View Post
                              Hey Dave - how much experience did you have when you started up??

-J.
                              J,
                              I began working as a weekend keg washer in early 1993. I worked up through almost every position in the brewery before I opened my own brewery in late 2002.

Prost!
                              Dave
                              Glacier Brewing Company
                              406-883-2595
                              info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
                              X