Return side "Y"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return side "Y"

Our current glycol loop is just a down and back design with a ball valve for restriction at the turn. Planning for the future and saw a few photos. I was wondering what is the purpose of the fork on the return side of the glycol loop such as in this Engren Brewing cad drawing?

Cheers

Chris

balances pressure

I might be wrong, but I believe this configuration balances the pressure losses. Without the Y and extra leg to which the returns are connected, the first and last tanks would have different pressures and thus flow rates. This keeps things fair and balanced. Please let me know if this is incorrect.

Comment

It is a way to have the first tank fed by the supply side be the last tank on the return side. First-in, last-out will help even out the flow through each tank.
      Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Nashville, TN
      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Ok. So we are first in first out with a valve before the system makes a return loop. Simple down and back is fine so long as pipe is sized correctly, pressure is appropriate? The Y branch is just another way to skin a cat?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably works fine

Well, its not just another way to skin a cat; it is the state of the art or the proper way. That said, your method probably works fine. But the more tanks you feed this way and the longer the lengths are, the more imbalance you will see between first and last tanks.

Regarding sizing: you might achieve more balance if you begin reducing the main feed's diameter after each tank drop, but this would only hold true if all tank valves are open.

Comment

Working...
          X