Thread: motorized ball valve recommendations

motorized ball valve recommendations

We are using a self-made keg washer and seem to be running through the motorized ball valves every few months on the acid side. This is the most recent valve we used https://www.amazon.com/BACOENG-Stain...tainless+steel

Does anybody have a recommenation for a valve that won't be eaten up by the acid cycle?

Thanks!
    Last edited by kredhead85; 02-26-2017 at 11:46 AM.

I was looking at this brand for a few diy items. How is the valve being worn down? I would think it's the internal seals. Can't you just rebuild it with new seals?

The model of valve you linked has EPDM and PTFE in the seal. EPDM doesn't resist acids very well, so I imagine that is the problem.

You want a valve with PTFE (Teflon) 'wetted' parts (seals). It looks like this valve can't be rebuilt, so try to find a replacement that can. With a lot of cycles and temperature changes, even PTFE seals will wear out eventually.

I've had good experience with Apollo, Nibco, PBM, and Flowserve valves, but I think any valve that has the right seals and a watertight actuator will work well.
    Kyle Kohlmorgen
    Process/Automation Consultant
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by SouthHouseBrew View Post
    The model of valve you linked has EPDM and PTFE in the seal. EPDM doesn't resist acids very well, so I imagine that is the problem.

You want a valve with PTFE (Teflon) 'wetted' parts (seals). It looks like this valve can't be rebuilt, so try to find a replacement that can. With a lot of cycles and temperature changes, even PTFE seals will wear out eventually.

I've had good experience with Apollo, Nibco, PBM, and Flowserve valves, but I think any valve that has the right seals and a watertight actuator will work well.
    Kyle - how does Viton stand up??