Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cold room versus larger fermenting tanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cold room versus larger fermenting tanks?

While I look at equipment options two directions occur to me...

1. have a cold room which maintains a specific temperature year round and use much smaller fermenters (for example 70x15)

2. us much larger fermenters (ibc tanks 250 gallons each) and use glycol temperature regulated system

option 1 gives me more flexibility in options of what to ferment which will make blending much easier, it will also be easier in terms of handling b/c each fermenter will weigh much less, lower cost on equipment as I will not need a glycol system other than for a brite tank and I currently own a glycol system rated for 4 bbls, I will need to have temperature controlled cold space for barrel aging program anyways

option 2: cost more for equipment up front but possibly save me a lot in terms of utilities cost, less blending ability but less concern of oxidation from transferring, more equipment needed for handling but more efficient,

input and advice welcome. thank you

Using a cold room gives you much less flexibility, not more!

With individually controlled fermenters, you can be starting a brew in one, crashing in another, and carbonating in yet another, all at once. You can brew an ale in one, and a lager in another.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

no need for lagering

my focus will be on mixed fermentation sours and so I won't need to lager.

Comment

air doesn't conduct heat very well.

Comment

Originally posted by beerme View Post
          air doesn't conduct heat very well.
          and in relation to my question please explain how this would impact either option...

Comment

Interesting. We would probably need to know more detail regarding your process because even for mixed fermentation this is irregular. Traditionally you ferment in wood or stainless and age in wood. If you want fermentation temperatures at standard ale temps (ie: 65f), they benefit from accurate control that a cold box held at 65f would not handle since the internal temperature would not match the ambient room temperature. And air has poor heat transfer as mentioned above so ability to tamp down temps during active ferment would suffer. Furthermore, if you are primary fermenting a saison yeast, brett, or a mixed culture containing such yeast, you may want that temperature to be much higher and/or free rise to 85f+. You would not be able to do this in a room next to a tank that needs to sit at 65f.

Then you get to aging, which is done from the 50's all the way to the 70's depending on how you want to control your bacteria or yeast among other things like acetic acid. So again, you will not be able to do this all in a single room with primary ferments without individual temp control.

If you have the budget, you want glycol controlled tanks for primary fermentation and then an aging room or two for your wood (or totes if that's your plan). Then perhaps a warm room for bottle conditioning. If your building is temperature controlled, your best bet is to go with glycol controlled tanks and skip the cold box altogether. Just keep the room around 60. A cold box could be used if you want multiple aging options and/or used as a warm room.

Comment

thank you for your help. your last answer gave me exactly the type of information I was looking for. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X