Thread: Beta Aroma Extract

Beta Aroma Extract

We got a sample of Beta Aroma Extract from Hopsteiner. Has anyone used this? If so what are your impressions. When in the boil did you use it?

Thanks

Just received a few samples this week. Have not played with it yet, Im also curious as to others experience.

Used it on our pilot system. We got lots of gnarly aromatics out of it, not sure I would use it solo, maybe more of a building block aromatic than a grand finale. It was very oily/resinous in the kettle, it did not seem to want to go into solution. Cheers
    Joel Halbleib
    COO / Zymurgist
    Goodwood Brewing Co
    636 East Main St
    Louisville, KY
    goodwood.beer

Thanks for the reply Joel,
    My first impressions were very similar. Some unexpected harshness and and unexpected perceived bitterness. I had hopes that this would amp up the flavor and aroma.

Have used it on 7bbl batches of IPA, I have found that if I use more than the 250g for that size batch it has some serious harsh astringent notes.

I'm scaling back to 125g for a whirlpool addition because it does lend some nice pronounced resinous flavors and aroma. I'm a much bigger fan of the single hop variety resinate stuff from YCH.

Michael Sutton (my rep from Hopsteiner) is super nice and happy to talk with you about their products, I suggest you reach out to him or someone else from their company and ask as many questions as you can think of, that's what I did.

edit: grams not mg (didn't have enough coffee that day I guess)
    Last edited by aarongarcia; 08-22-2017 at 09:18 AM.