Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOB problems

Dear colleagues,

Please help me out with a problem I’m facing: I bought shurflo beer pumps and some FOBs. Now, the FOBs should always be full with beer. But sometimes it happens that suddenly a FOB gets empty. It appears from nowhere. I don’t understand this phenomena and I do not have any explanation. Sometime it works well and then suddenly they get empty or half-full with the result of foam problems tapping the beer.
    Maybe you have an idea why the FOBs do not work well?

Thank you very much.
    Greetings
    FlorianClick image for larger version

Name:	Our pumps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	194917
    Last edited by Florentius; 03-18-2017, 03:45 PM.

I don't use this style but I've found that if you don't have the proper head pressure on the kegs (it has to match the carbonation level in the beer) the CO2 will start coming out of solution and gather in the FOBs. Once it reaches a certain point, it will cease flowing to the tap. Look at the beer lines from the kegs to the pumps and the line from the output of the pump to the FOB. If you are seeing bubbles, then you don't have the kegs at the right pressure. Raise the pressure until you don't see degassing happening in the lines and you should be golden.

Cheers,
    --
    Don
    Last edited by idylldon; 03-20-2017, 09:30 AM.

Comment

You'll need a little more pressure in the keg than just the eq. pressure at your temp to maintain the carbonation, as it appears you have four or five feet of lift to the beer pumps. If you DL the Draught Beer Quality Manual, it has an excellent explanation of balancing a draught beer delivery system.

Probably about 1 psi over the carbonation eq pressure will do it--I can't access my copy of the Manual right now as our server is down.

Very nice looking set-up--"right and tight"!
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Thank you Don and Timm, I will try raising the pressure on the kegs! Greetings
        Florian

Comment

You're welcome! Also, download the draft manual TIMM mentioned if you haven't already. I used it to figure this out when it happened to me.

Cheers,
          --
          Don

Comment

Wheres your drain lines to vent the foam ???
            Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
            tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
            "Your results may vary"

Comment

Working...
            X