Fluctuating Glycol Supply Header Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluctuating Glycol Supply Header Pressure

We are seeing our glycol pressure on the supply header (2" copper header with 3/4" and 1" PEX drops) coming into the building going up and down sporadically from 0 PSI to 20 or 25 PSI, with or without a load. We are just firing up our brewery and are fortunate to have more chiller than we need (always planning for the next tanks...) and well-insulated cellar tanks, so there hasn't been a huge demand on our chiller. Our glycol loop installers used what they called circuit setters in the bypass locations to make sure we don't deadhead the pump. We have also been trying to keep pressure down by throttling the ball valve of the supply header when it enters the building. The 550 gallon reservoir is more than 80% full and the percentage glycol is at 35%, verified by a calibrated glycol refractometer. Please let us know if you have an insight into this situation, or if there is more info I can provide to help resolve it.

Cheers!

Matt

My first thought us check the reservoir and make sure the returning glycol is not causing bubbles by splashing inside the reservoir. Bubbles, besides killing the prime on your pump, kill your cooling efficiency.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou View Post
      My first thought us check the reservoir and make sure the returning glycol is not causing bubbles by splashing inside the reservoir. Bubbles, besides killing the prime on your pump, kill your cooling efficiency.
      It's looking nice and smooth in there. Recirculation pump is also flowing just fine. I should also note we have a ProChiller MA Series dual 12HP unit.

Comment

Working...
      X