No announcement yet.

Budget-friendly food grade sump pumps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget-friendly food grade sump pumps?

Looking to clean small tanks (3 tanks, each 1BBL each). Any recommendations on such a thing? I've seen the awesome CPE systems pumps, but it just seems way overkill and frankly is out of budget right now.

I know you can get some pretty hefty sump pumps, but I haven't seen any listed as food grade/for food applications yet. Would I have to find some that are for potable water, and would those still have issues for use with beverages outside of just water?

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention, but I'm looking at some magnetic-driven pond pumps that are listed as "no oil" fish safe.
    Last edited by CarterJ; 03-25-2017, 10:03 PM.

"Sump pump" and "Food Grade" are mutually exclusive terms, IMO. Pond pumps would never be food grade, and the "no oil" just means it has some sort of mechanical seal with no oil barrier. Better sump pumps have an outer seal, a chamber filled with oil, and an inner seal. They work together to keep the water out of the electrical part. In the oil chamber there is sometimes a moisture sensor that sets off an external alarm if the outer seal fails, and allows ingress of water.

Whatever pump you get, make sure it's rated for the CIP chemicals you're going to use, and for the temperature. The pump impeller, volute and seal materials are all important here. If you're going to use a spray ball, it takes a pretty good pump. But 1bbl is small, so maybe you can get by with one of those small sprayballs and a smaller pump.

Regards,
    Mike Sharp

Comment

Chugger Max pumps or March pumps will do a reasonable job for a 1Bbl system and come with brewery suitable pump head materials. Chugger Max is 1/8th hp. If you are using a rotating spray ball, you will need bigger pumps but for stationary shower type CIP, these will work.
      Last edited by mswebb; 03-28-2017, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X