Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UC Davis Master Brewing Course

Hello Fellow brewers,

I am considering going back to school and getting the required courses for the Master Brewers Program. Anyone have any feedback about their experience and the job market availability here in the San Francisco Bay Area?

I tried to do my own thing but it did not work the way I had hoped so I'm trying to look at some different avenues.

I'm considering doing this and working for a brewery or distillery in the future.

Did the program move at a swift pace? Did you get a lot of hands on brewing experience when doing class related topics, ie lab, quality control, yeast, malt characteristics, etc.

Any tips or recommendations would be highly appreciated.

I'm a 2016 Grad

Greetings Mendo Distilling,

First, I have to ask if you're aware of the wait list? I applied at the end of 2013 and made it into the 2016 class. I believe two years is about the standard wait time once your application has been submitted. It definitely made me think about other options when I found out about it.

I don't have any experience with the job market in SF but i've seen the surrounding areas, i.e Sacramento, Petaluma, San jose, looking for educated brewers.

Depending on your knowledge of the material, the program moves at a relatively swift pace. As a business major, I found it difficult to keep up with the engineering material presented.

As far as hands on experience, there are opportunities throughout the course to brew on Sudwerk's nano system. There's also an opportunity to get an internship after the certificate course, before you take the IBD exam. Dr. Lewis will offer to use his influence to assist with this. But, other than that, "hands on experience" ends there. In my opinion, it's certainly one of the drawbacks of the program.

With that said, as someone with no commercial brewing experience, it provided me the paperwork to show my dedication to the craft, which got me a job. I don't regret it.

Cheers

Comment

I wasn't aware of the wait list, I'll have to talk to them about that now I imagine. I'm probably 3 semesters away so this is good advice and timing!!!

Comment

Working...
      X