Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does everyone purchase their malt from

Greetings all,

I'm in the final stages of getting the brewery up and running and i'm getting the rest of my suppliers lined up and the question i have is where does everyone buy their specialty malts from? I have a local maltster in my area that can provide me base malts without any issues, but he does not do any roasted or caramel malts, or any specialty malts. I know of the Lupulin Exchange which is where i get my hops from, but is there a similar place for malts? How do you get all your malts?

Thanks in Advance.

Country Malt Group (CMG) or Brewers Supply Group (BSG) are the two that seem to cover most of the bases. I use both of them

Cheers,
    --
    Don

Comment

Same here, BSG and County Malt. They carry most of the major malting brands.

Comment

Briess

Briess malt company supplies many specialty malts. Dont know of a second hand malt website for resale or big discount malt supplier (that would be kinda cool though).

Comment

MaltEurop out of Great Falls, Montana and Cargill Specialty Malts out of Wisconsin and Oregon.

Prost!
          Dave
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Briess for 17 years. I do go to CMG for some special malts
            Mike Eme
            Brewmaster

Comment

Montana Malt

Hey Dave:

Have you found the bags of Malteurop 2 row to contain an inordinate amount of chaff? We have had quite a few bags that seemed were a good 30% > of chaff. Another brewer actually weighed out the actual intact grains and found that it wasn't anywhere near 50 lbs. I brought this up to them at CBC when it was held in Denver a few years back and they acknowledged the problem and said that it had something to do with the farmers (what they didn't specify). I have cannot recall running into this problem with 2 row purchased from Great Western or Briess. Want to support a Montana based business but also want to get what I pay for.

Comment

There's also Cargill.

Munton's is now starting to do pallet quantities and greater direct to breweries too.

Comment

Highly recommend Cargill, and BSG. Both offer a wide variety of foreign and domestic malts, fantastic customer support, and are patient and willing to work with you on payment and credit. LD Carlson has also recently began to go after commercial brewers. Cheers.
                  Joel Halbleib
                  Partner / Zymurgist
                  Hive and Barrel Meadery
                  6302 Old La Grange Rd
                  Crestwood, KY
                  www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Working...
                  X