Leases / Permits / Equipment lead time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leases / Permits / Equipment lead time

At TTB, the lead time as of November 2016 for online filings was 178 days and equipment lead times are also about 4-6 months. Given that a lease is needed for the permit process, are startups buying their equipment before they receive their permit? Or are people signing a lease and then not opening for more than a year and having to wait consecutively for the permit process time and then the equipment lead time?

I wouldn't wait and do all of that linearly. We had all of our paperwork filled out online except the location, then when we had that , I uploaded all the supporting documents, drawings, etc. and hit submit for the TTB. Signed a contract on the equipment a week later, started construction two weeks after that when we got drawing approvals from the city. We also did our local ABC submission around the same time. I would do everything that you can do concurrently, there is no reason not to.

Comment

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
      I wouldn't wait and do all of that linearly. We had all of our paperwork filled out online except the location, then when we had that , I uploaded all the supporting documents, drawings, etc. and hit submit for the TTB. Signed a contract on the equipment a week later, started construction two weeks after that when we got drawing approvals from the city. We also did our local ABC submission around the same time. I would do everything that you can do concurrently, there is no reason not to.
      Isn't there a chance the permit would be denied? Are all permits approved if the proper paperwork is submitted?

Comment

Originally posted by Mxlpik View Post
        At TTB, the lead time as of November 2016 for online filings was 178 days and equipment lead times are also about 4-6 months. Given that a lease is needed for the permit process, are startups buying their equipment before they receive their permit? Or are people signing a lease and then not opening for more than a year and having to wait consecutively for the permit process time and then the equipment lead time?
        If this makes you uncomfortable, have 100% funding and be ready to buy used equipment at the drop of a dime.

There's a lot of used equipment that's floating around that you can have in a very short period if a time if you're willing to do the legwork to respond and pay in a very short timeframe.
        Kevin Shertz
        Chester River Brewing Company
        Chestertown, MD

Comment

There is a chance, but you should know that long before you apply. If you need a conditional use permit, and the permit is denied, you will not get your brewers notice. However, you need an approved CUP before you can apply anyways. The other reasons for denial would be incomplete, incorrect or falsified documents when you submit your application packet. If you are next to a navigable waterway and you do not have sufficient methods of preventing a spill from getting into it, that would be a problem, this is fixable by constructing whatever barriers are required. The other way is if you or any other owners that are required to submit background checks for the brewers notice have any tax violations, felonies, drug violations, etc. then you will likely be denied until that person releases their interest in the company to a suitable level.
          You are much more likely to have your state permit denied then the federal. But other than convictions for things they don't like, having he building not be approved by the city for the use, or misrepresenting things, they are not in the business of denying permits, the government likes its tax revenue.
          In short, if you have your ducks in a row, then you won't have any problems. If you have questions, call the TTB and your state ABC they are typically nice people and are helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X