Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fermenter/BBT shipping/standing

Hello,
    I've purchased a system from a local brewery that just upsized. My concern is with transporting and then standing the fermenters and brite up in my brewery. They are 7 bbl tanks and to get them in the room they need to be on their side. I've seen tanks shipped this way. Thing is, I have to get them on pallets or whatever I need to use and strap them on. Any suggestions on how to do this correctly? They will end up on a flat bed trailer and travel about 20 miles. Also, the tanks have three legs, two in front, one in back. Next issue is standing them up without a forklift. I believe I can move them into the building with a pallet jack. Any suggestions on standing would be greatly appreciated. I believe the tanks are 600-700 lbs.
    Thanks!

Manpower

I've stood 7bbl tanks before with a couple buddies. The tanks are empty (I hope...) and generally aren't that heavy when they are that small. Get a few guys willing to work for a beer and get to it.

Comment

Usually when tanks are shipped on there side they are strapped to a cradle that is made at the factory. You might be able to lay them on two pallets with a lot of foam to protect the skins and keep them from getting dented. If you have a roller door that is over 10' tall you should be able bring them in standing with a pallet jack. If you have to bring them in there side you can use a block and tackle to raise the tanks as long as you have a good weight bearing beam to attach to.

Comment

Originally posted by TiminOz View Post
        [...] If you have to bring them in there side you can use a block and tackle to raise the tanks as long as you have a good weight bearing beam to attach to.
        Or a gin pole, which might be safer if you just have metal roof purlins or other structure that you can't safely utilize. Be sure to anchor the base so it doesn't slide when you lift.

If you're nervous about it, hire a rigging company to do it.

Regards,
        Mike Sharp

Comment

I agree with Mike that if you plan to use a gin pole you should hire a professional rigger. Work Safe is number 1!

Comment

Working...
          X