Hanging Brewer's Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanging Brewer's Hose

We just recently opened a production facility, and in our old brewery it was easy to store hoses as the longest was 15ft. Now we have 50 and 100ft hoses, and they can't just be wrapped around the manway on a tank like I've always done with our short hoses. Figured there must be a relatively simple way to get them off the floor that I haven't figured out yet.

Originally posted by FourSonsBrewing View Post
    We just recently opened a production facility, and in our old brewery it was easy to store hoses as the longest was 15ft. Now we have 50 and 100ft hoses, and they can't just be wrapped around the manway on a tank like I've always done with our short hoses. Figured there must be a relatively simple way to get them off the floor that I haven't figured out yet.
    Don't know if this will help in your case, but a winery that I used to service kept their hoses on a flat rack mounted on the wall behind a row of fermenters. The rack is horizontal, but inclined so as to drain. They had at least of couple parallel "shelves", and I can't remember for sure, but I think the longer hoses ran the length of the rack on the top shelf, and at the high end, looped down to the lower shelf. It was basically made with Unistrut and expanded metal. The fermentation bay was designed with this in mind, so it may not help you.

Regards,
    Mike Sharp

Comment

We've got a couple of heavy-duty shelf brackets (just the "stick-outy" bit, not the actual shelf) mounted on the wall, a few feet apart, one higher than the other – short hoses get slung over one or the other, long hoses between the two. Even the long ones drain just fine because the stretch between the staggered brackets is at an incline. Don't have any quite as long as 50' (this is one side of the meadery to the other and back again, with length to spare, ha!), maybe you could stagger three or four brackets and hang the really long hoses in a kind of zig-zag pattern? Or, if you need 50' hoses, maybe you've got a 50'+ wall you can put more than two brackets along.

Comment

Your brewery hoses are a major investment, with a limited lifetime under the best of conditions. The way you store them will greatly affect this lifetime, so be nice to them! Hanging over a sharp edge--as advocated above--is a sure way to ruin an expensive hose. A hose hanger must have a smooth, large-radius surface to support the hose and not impart a point-load nor an abrupt bend, which will lead to separation of the inner liner from the hose.

For a cheap option, we've used retired car/truck wheels. Ones made for racing tires--extra-wide--are ideal. Use lag bolts through the lugnut holes to mount. Be sure they are well mounted--a 100' hose is heavy!

The radius of the hanger should be greater than the smallest radius the hose makes without forcing it. Your hose supplier should be able to recommend a minimum radius for hangers for your hoses.

There are many commercially-produced solutions out there--research brewery/winery hose hangers. Expect to pay a premium, as they'll be ss.
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Terminal Gravity Brewing,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

For the future, as Timm said, hoses are an investment, one that you make more than once. You should look into putting some hard piping in to get to your farthest distances. Long hoses suck, they are heavy, they break, and they are expensive to replace. We did that, best thing we ever did, our hoses now are 15' at the most.

Comment

Garden hose hangers here
            Mike Eme
            Brewmaster

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	hosehanger.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	191409

i made some hangers similar to this out of pipe. you've got four mounting holes and with good anchors it'll hold some good weight. seen breweries put these randomly all over a wall and just had all their production hoses strung up.

Comment

Working...
              X