Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry hopping, yeast separation, & diacetyl

Hi all,

We brewed our first double IPA (21.1P OG) last week and primary is done, but I am at a crossroads. When I let a de-gassed gravity sample sit for a few hours at brewery temp (68F), I am getting heavy butter... The yeast is 7th gen 001, fermented at 68F for seven days; the temp on my tanks tends to drop to around 64-65F no matter how high I set the temp controller after high krausen, so D rest was at 65F for two days after being within a few tenths of a plato within terminal. I am very careful not to temp-shock my yeast before repitching, and although I am not going to reuse the yeast after such a high gravity ferment, it was pretty healthy when I pitched it. Sample tastes and smells great right off the fermentor, so I'm pretty sure I just have precursors that can be mitigated through a little more conditioning (quick forced D test confirmed this), but my question is this: if I dry hop the beer right away, am I going to cause too much yeast to drop out to reabsorb acetolactate and other compounds that oxidize into diacteyl? A trub/yeast dump is not going to pull active yeast out of suspension, but I'm worried that dry hopping will encourage the yeast to settle too much (and possibly convert any precursors to diacetyl through oxidation).

I want to get the beer ready for our first birthday party and need to dry hop the beer today to really be on schedule. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by magnemelhus; 04-12-2017, 08:39 AM.
    Charlie Magne Melhus
    Co-founder/Head Brewer
    Norway Brewing Company

Dry hop away, if anything it'll encourage yeast to stay in suspension. Maybe even rouse your dry hop charge with Co2 on the second day.

Comment

Working...
    X