Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIMS Advice for Large Repurposed Mash Tun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIMS Advice for Large Repurposed Mash Tun?

Hello All -

I have built an all-electric 3 vessel system out of repurposed 226 gallon SS kettles (48" depth x 34" diameter). I am getting ready to take it for a test drive, but I have some concerns. Our taproom will not be at the point in which we need to be doing full sized batches on this system, probably only 2bbl to start. I have some concerns about keeping my mash temp steady with such a small amount of mash and am looking for advice and/or agreement about my concerns.
    1. Do you think I will have an issue maintaining mash temp with such a small thermal mass in comparison to the overall size of the vessel?
    2. If so, would a RIMS module be the way to go? I don't have any any experience using a RIMS tube. Any recommendations as to size/power of the heating element? Pump size/speed and hose size/length? I would like to be able to have a system that if in the instance I come out 3 - 4 degrees below my mash temp after mash-in that I would have the ability to increase my mash temp.
    3. Should I possibly wrap the tun with insulation of some sort?

BTW, I have a 4" deep false bottom at the bottom of the tun.

Thanks!

I'd recommend HERMS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My 2c for what it's worth...

I have a RIMS system on my 50Litre 3x vessel system at home (home brew setup).
      Power to raise the mash temp would take a few minutes per degree (using 10A 2400W element).

Once you jump into 2bbl or even higher volumes, it'd take stacks of power and significant time to get the mash to increase in temp.

I reckon you'd be better off with single step mashing and some insulation. also moving wort around thru pipes, pumps, etc also strips more heat from the wort.

If this is a pilot system for a larger brewery one day, you (likely) won't be doing step mashes in the bigger system (unless adding a heap of water from HLT) so why bother with RIMS at this small scale.

Comment

Originally posted by ASL View Post
        I'd recommend HERMS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Well, that's what I was wondering...thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by leftbarrel View Post
          My 2c for what it's worth...

I have a RIMS system on my 50Litre 3x vessel system at home (home brew setup).
          Power to raise the mash temp would take a few minutes per degree (using 10A 2400W element).

Once you jump into 2bbl or even higher volumes, it'd take stacks of power and significant time to get the mash to increase in temp.

I reckon you'd be better off with single step mashing and some insulation. also moving wort around thru pipes, pumps, etc also strips more heat from the wort.

If this is a pilot system for a larger brewery one day, you (likely) won't be doing step mashes in the bigger system (unless adding a heap of water from HLT) so why bother with RIMS at this small scale.
          Thanks...that's the kind of experience/insight I was looking for. I was thinking it would take a LONG time to increase mash temp on 2bbl.

Comment

Working...
          X