SUPRApak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUPRApak

I am looking at testing Pall SUPRApak again, what experience do other brewers have using these?

Are they purely supposed to be used after a centrifuge? I have been told they can filter rough beer but to me without reducing the bulk they block up relatively quickly?

It's also been suggested to put 3 micron filter before the SUPRApak but won't it just make the SUPRApak redundant?

I have had some limited dealings with a small start up bottler. They have installed a 5 micron filter before the suprapak, and 1 and 0.45 micron if require afterwards.

They were advised by Pall to do it this way. However, to date, they have not had reason to use it. They have been filtering fined beer, or extensively cold conditioned (flocculent yeast) beers and have small runs whilst they prove the system. I think the reasoning is the 5 micron filter will take out the big particles, including most yeast and large protein haze, and the suprapak will take out the rest - with the 1 and 0.45 to follow if "sterile" beer is required.

So I guess that if your centrifuge is very high speed, say 6000g, and isn't overloaded, then the suprapak should remove the residual, predominantly protein haze. In other words, use it instead of auxiliary & isinglass to remove protein haze.

What the real difference in performance between lenticular filters and suprapak is, I have no idea. I guess that Pall make / recommend the suprapak for superior performance for protein haze removal.
    dick

Comment

Working...
    X