Lallemand BRY-97

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lallemand BRY-97

Does anyone know the origin of the BRY-97 west coast strain?

I'm attracted to the title and the advertised high flocc. But it also says it has light esters, and I really don't like the idea of any estery notes at all. Ideally I want a clean yeast like my usual US05 or WL 001 but with much better flocc.

I'm pretty sure its a slight mutation of the 1056 strain. I hear its a tad bit more estery and a bit more finiky, particularly in harvesting.
    Manuel

Comment

Originally posted by mmussen View Post
      I'm pretty sure its a slight mutation of the 1056 strain. I hear its a tad bit more estery and a bit more finiky, particularly in harvesting.

Bugger, that's exactly what I feared.

Thanks for the feedback though, much appreciated

Comment

BRY-97 Data

Does anyone know the origin of the BRY-97 west coast strain?

Hi, My name is Caroline Parnin and I am the East Coast Rep for Lallemand Brewing Yeasts. The BRY-97 was specifically selected from the Siebel Institute’s culture collection, and it is a traditional West Coast Ale strain. It is a neutral strain that, depending on several variables such as temperature, can deliver slight esters (which some brewers may want to achieve).

I'm attracted to the title and the advertised high flocc.

Indeed, in our tests we have found it flocculates slightly better than comparable strains. If you would like more information I am happy to answer questions via email.

But it also says it has light esters, and I really don't like the idea of any estery notes at all. Ideally I want a clean yeast like my usual US05 or WL 001 but with much better flocc.

BRY-97 has versatility in its behavior and its expression, depending on how you control fermentation parameters. For example, if fermentation is kept below 22C (72F) ester production will be low. Stringent purity standards and extensive quality checks allow for a clean and consistent fermentation. I am happy to share the Technical Data Sheet and answer questions, please feel free to email me for more info cparnin@lallemand.com

Comment

Thank you so much for the info.

I actually trialled the yeast and I'm happy to say I'm really impressed with it so far! It fermented out a 1050 OG wort in 5 days (@20C). I'm not detecting any unwanted estery notes at all, in fact it seems even cleaner than US05, although these notes come from a beer that hasn't been carbonated yet.

Having crashed to 10C the beer flocculated brilliantly. Much more so than any other west coast style strains I've been relying on over the years. Yeast harvesting isn't a problem at all.

Availability providing, I'll be using this yeast all the time from now on.

Comment

Working...
          X