Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenbrewmonkey
    Hello Jay,

Extracting harsh phenols and astringency is linked to not only higher temps, but also rising pH. So watch your temps, but almost more importantly your pH. Best would be not to exceed 5.8 during the tales of your run off. A water temp in the high 170s will not generally raise your mash temp to dangerous levels during the course of your sparge, but you should of course monitor to be sure.
    I agree with the pH, but IMHO the temperature issue is overstated. If high mash-out temperatures were critical to the production of astringency, then why aren't beers made using a decoction mash typically astringent? Sorry for digressing from the main point of this thread.

Cheers!
    --Neil Herbst
    Alley Kat Brewery

Comment

Hello Neil,

I believe it is the combination of a number of converging factors. As temp increases, waters high in carbonates will tend to become more alkaline. During sparging, the mashes natural buffering capabilities are reduced, this combined with a rising alkalinity in sparge water (from the higher temp) can cause mash pHs to raise into the "danger zone", if not monitored and controlled.

Decoction takes a portion of mash, buffering systems intact, and briefly boils and returns it to the main mash. pH's should normally be in the "safe zone" during this procedure, hence little chance for an undue amount of astringency, but I imagine it could happen if one was not mindful of the details.

Cheers,
      Ron
      Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

Working...
      X