equipment size and instilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• equipment size and instilation

I am in the process of starting a brewery in the very beginning stages. I plan on starting with 3 beers. a dark sour, a gluten free sour, and a smash ale. The current hot side brewing equipment I have is a 1 bbl electric system from spike (50 g 3 kettles)

I will need more fermenters to start and for larger than 1 bbl batches I will do multiples brews in one day to be able to reach capacity. My main difficulty is the location I will be able to use is on the second floor and the elevator is broke. To start I don't think I can fix the elevator right away and so I am looking for sizes of jacketed fermenters that won't break the bank but also will be realistically able to bring up stairs.

As of right now the 1 bbl ss brewtech conical fermenters for 1339 seem like the best deel I can find but I am wondering if someone can make other suggestions that are either the same size or slightly larger that I will be able to move either myself or with another person?

so you want to carry a fermentor full of beer up a flight of stairs? You realize a BBL of water is over 250 lbs?

i think I would rethink the plan.

S

Comment

lol no not at all

Originally posted by murmsk View Post
      so you want to carry a fermentor full of beer up a flight of stairs? You realize a BBL of water is over 250 lbs?

i think I would rethink the plan.

S
      why would I be moving a full fermenter anywhere? This is about instillation. I thought that would be obvious...

Comment

Originally posted by LaserKyle View Post
        why would I be moving a full fermenter anywhere? This is about instillation. I thought that would be obvious...
        Ahhh that makes sense

S

Comment

Yeah I read that as "I'm going to somehow carry full 1bbl fermenters up stairs" too.
          Russell Everett
          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
          Bainbridge Island Brewing
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

I have carried several 4 bbl jacketed un-insulated fermenters up and down a flight stairs more times than is recommended, with 3 people total. I have carried a 7 bbl jacketed insulated brite tank down a flight of stairs with 4 people total. I hope to never carry the 7 bbl out of that basement, but I could do it if I had to.

I have a wide staircase in my brewery, so take those dimensions into account before you buy, but for weight you and a few buddies should be able to get 4bbl or smaller up the stairs without too much trouble.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by LaserKyle View Post
              I am in the process of starting a brewery in the very beginning stages. I plan on starting with 3 beers. a dark sour, a gluten free sour, and a smash ale. The current hot side brewing equipment I have is a 1 bbl electric system from spike (50 g 3 kettles)

I will need more fermenters to start and for larger than 1 bbl batches I will do multiples brews in one day to be able to reach capacity. My main difficulty is the location I will be able to use is on the second floor and the elevator is broke. To start I don't think I can fix the elevator right away and so I am looking for sizes of jacketed fermenters that won't break the bank but also will be realistically able to bring up stairs.

As of right now the 1 bbl ss brewtech conical fermenters for 1339 seem like the best deel I can find but I am wondering if someone can make other suggestions that are either the same size or slightly larger that I will be able to move either myself or with another person?
              Check out Bubba's Barrels. They are up the 3bbl. the fermenters disassemble where the barrel meets the conical bottom, so you would have no problem carrying them up a flight of stairs. Check out Stout tanks for a low cost option. Both have cooling coils for glycol at the range you are looking at and are good options to get things going. I am in the process of expanding my nano with some of their equipment. PM if you pull the trigger or need advice. I am originally from your area. Living out the country now, but come back to Philly once a year. Would be cool to see what you get going.

cheers
              Brad

Comment

Working...
              X