how much fruit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much fruit ?

Just trying to get a read on the hive mind here.
    I've very limited experience with fruit in beer, and that has been only with lambic etc. Want to use mango or passion fruit purree in a wheat/blonde ale. How many pounds/bbl would you start with? Want it to be fruity, but still beer.

I have found about .6lbs./gal works best for me in my tart cherry wheat beer. When I used whole fruit, I used 1lb./gal but the puree requires a lot less to get the same result. Other fruits might be different, but this works great with cherries.

Cheers,
    --
    Don

Comment

It really depends on the fruit. Like Raspberries, Strawberries, Pineapple and other strong flavored fruit take less to make the hint of fruit. Where as mango, pumpkin, figs and other more subtle flavored fruits take more. I make a raspberry beer that has a hint of fruit that I use two cans of raspberry puree (which is 6.2 pounds) for 2bbls. As for my mango beer I use 3 cans of puree or 10 pounds of fresh if I have the time to cut and puree.

So I would say there is no right answer to your question only trial and hopefully success gets the results you are looking for. I would also say that you can add more fruit to the bright tank or the secondary or you can add more beer*. Depending on the size of the system I would suggest starting with 3-5 pounds per barrel.

*I have made a couple different variations using different grain bills, I would suggest using more Pilsen malt to not make it to malty. That way you can use less fruit. Or if you already have a beer you make that you feel would be great with a fruit, start there so you can always add more beer to get the flavor you are looking for.

Hope this helps!
      Brad

Comment

Working...
      X