Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two batches, two days, CIP process

Hello everyone,

What is a good way to CIP/sanitize my heat exchanger and transfer hose when brewing two batches over two days into the same fermentor. I understand how to do it when just brewing a single batch to fill the fermentor because I would use that fermenter to run my sanitation loop through the hoses and heat exchanger but kind of confused on how to do that on day two when the fermenter is already starting to ferment the first batch. Am I overthinking the workflows or would I just use my brew kettle at the end of the first batch to do my CIP and sanitation loop then pack my heat exchanger and hose from the heat exchanger outlet to the bottom of my fermentor with sanitizer and have a T fitting attached with valves on the fermentors bottom port?Then the next day after brewing the second batch just pump over to the same fermenter with the side valve on the T opened to drain out the sanitizer and close it when wort follows then open up to our double sized fermentor to receive the second batch?

Thank you for your help and guidance :-)
    Last edited by Catfish002; 04-28-2017, 07:54 PM.

Howdy,

I brew on a 2bl system, really micro. Always remember the difference between clean and sanitized. I say fill your boil kettle, bring it up to like 120-140, toss in measured caustic, use pump to push through chill plate and pump itself. Dump, rinse, sany and lock your loop in place till ready to transfer. However, with that being said, if you are doing nothing but a second brew the following day to fill a ferm of the same type/style, I would still run caustic through the after the first transfer from your boil kettle, rinse, sanitize and lock up the loop for the following brew.

Our version is simple. We CIP on brew day, time the cycle to literally be dumping off sany off the conical 10 min before transfer. We create a stop gap with butterfly valves and the sight glass and a t-connector pipe. Start the pump, dump off the excess at the valve until beer shows, then close the dump and open the valve to the tank. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am. Next day, come in and brew. While mashing, use boil kettle to heat water for caustic, use pump to push through chill plate and pump to drain. Rinse BK, add cold water, add measured sany, pump through chill plate and pump. Dump some, but when we hit bottom of BK, we shut of pump, cap the hose and lock sany in place in the "loop" which includes the chill plates. Then open bottom valve, rinse the BK and dump on to the floor/drain. Close the valve and boil like normal. When it comes time to transfer again, I now have clean and sanitized hose and chill plate ready to transfer with sany locked in the loop. I attach to check/dump valve with sight glass. Start pump, watch sight glass until beer starts to show, then in one motion close the dump valve and open the valve to the conical. Rock and roll until full. Don't forget to spray the shit out of everything with Isopropyl 70%.

I am sure you know all this already, but hope something in there helps. Sorry, I am training a few folks right now on CIP procedures so in teacher mode!

Comment

Although you shouldn't be pitching until your FV is full.

Comment

No HLT

Oh, and I forgot to add in my original post that we would caustic CIP the heat exchanger and hose by running the caustic CIP loop in the brew kettle. But we do not have a seperate HLT. We heat all water in our brew kettle and transfer the heat water water to a storage tank.
        Last edited by Catfish002; 04-29-2017, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DVB View Post
          Although you shouldn't be pitching until your FV is full.
          I think on separate batches a day apart the best practice is to pitch on day one for the wort transferred that day, yeast has time to go through a growth phase, then on day 2 transfer wort with no additional yeast pitch.

I say I think, because this is how we were advised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X