Diaphragm pump and suction wand for pulling fruit puree from a drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diaphragm pump and suction wand for pulling fruit puree from a drum

Does anyone have experience pulling fruit puree from a drum? I am looking into using a diaphragm pump and a suction wand to move the fruit puree from the drum to a fermentor and wanted to get suggestions on the right size and configuration to go with.

Originally posted by rustybarrel View Post
    Does anyone have experience pulling fruit puree from a drum? I am looking into using a diaphragm pump and a suction wand to move the fruit puree from the drum to a fermentor and wanted to get suggestions on the right size and configuration to go with.
    Did you ever get anything figured out for this?

Comment

Use a PD pump

I have used a 2" Positive Displacement pump to move puree from drums and totes. I used a 2" TC adapter from the drum threaded opening with a butterfly valve. Put the drum(s) on a pallet, lay it carefully lay them on the side with threaded openings vertical top and bottom, strap them down so they don't roll off. Raise pallet with forklift a little and tip back as far as you can go, get hoses connected to pump. Open top drum port to vent, shouldn't pour out at the angle. Start pumping slowly to get suction and adjust speed for a good flow. When it gets close to the end, tip the forks forward to get the last drop of puree, CS, or whatever it is. Blast the drum with a spray of hot water through the top port to get the last bit of goodie out and flush the line into the fermenter. A PD pump won't cavitate and loose prime, even with a bit of air in the hose.

Todd G Hicks
      BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

Working...
      X