Filling Kegs- By weight or foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling Kegs- By weight or foam

Im having a discussion with our head brewer as he wants to start using a floor scale to measure individual kegs on a floor scale. He is making an assumption that we are over filling 1/2 gallon of beer in a half bbl per 10bbls. Right now, filling 20 1/2 or 60 1/6 one at a time is very time consuming. I suggested just buying the foam shut offs from GW kent with a 4 way manifold to speed up kegging but he negates that and wants to know whats going in each one. I dont agree with it as I think we are not over filling, and losing labor hours on watching kegs by weight.

How does everyone else go about filling their kegs.

Simplest thing to do would be borrow a floor scale and find out. You'll have to have a different weight for each gravity of beer, and either identical kegs or determine tares for each style/brand of keg.

We bought a keg filler that has the fill-by-weight option installed. We've never used it. The filler also has an automatic FOB system, which does the job very nicely without having to enter new weights every time we change beers or keg size/brand.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Very late answer to an older thread.

Maybe we are doing this very wrong (and I'd like to know if we are), but we carb to about 11 psi head pressure and keg at higher pressures. We built a very simple 4 head manifold that doesn't include any pressure drops, so we get very little foam going into a keg. We fill until we see beer (usually pretty much immediately after a small amount of foam) at the overflow. With the 4 head manifold and 16 - 18 PSI on the tank, it keeps 2 guys very busy filling 6B and 1.5 guys very busy with HB.

Justin
      Justin Smith

President & Business Development
      Ten Sleep Brewing Co., Inc.
      2549B Highway 16
      PO Box 406
      Ten Sleep, WY 82442
      tensleepbrewing@gmail.com
      www.tensleepbrewingco.com
      www.facebook.com/TSBCo

Comment

Using a relatively simple Sanke set-up, I fill my kegs using the "watch for foam" method.
        Pressurize tank to around 14 PSI, open beer valve into pressurized keg, slow bleed of CO2 from said keg, wait until foam comes out of the gas port on the Sanke fitting, then when small amount of clear product comes out, turn off valve. Keg is full!
        I capture all the foam waste in a measured bucket. I usually end up with less than 1/2 gallon of waste per ten 1/2 bbl kegs. The time to fill a 1/2 bbl averages around 3-5 minutes. Slow and steady wins the foam waste race!

Prost!
        Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
        X