Tap tower cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tap tower cooling

A customer of mine has a circular, 6 tap taptower. On slow days, pours from the IPA line (not my beer, but Lauginatas) is foamy for three or so pints, then pours fine. As long as it's busy, no problems. Also, none of the taps ever sweat, as they are room temp. I confirmed poorly insulated line after I pulled the tap tower top, and took the attached picture. The shanks are pretty close to each other (less than 3" center to center) so there aren't any cooling blocks on the shanks. The glycol line has poor contact with the lines as shown in the picture (I tried to upload the picture...hopefully it worked?) This picture was taken after I removed the top of the tap tower, and pulled back the foam insulation.

I can't be the first person to attack improvements to these tap towers, anyone have a pic of what they've done? My thoughts on improving the problem:

- I was thinking of buying the split rectangular cooling blocks for the shanks, but the ones foxx has look like they wouldn't work. Anyone have a supplier for split cooling blocks that are designed for round tap towers?

- Assuming I can't get cooling blocks installed, I was thinking of wrapping the glycol line with foil tape, and coil the foil wrapped glycol lines around the beer lines as best I can. My guess is the lines won't have enough flexibility, either because of the foil tape, or the plastic lines themselves.

- The "nuclear option" idea: Insulate as best as I can with glycol line improvement (foil line, route as best as I can) then put in the soft curing spray foam to insulate.

If you have any pictures you'd like to send me directly, please send them to artisanalbrewworks@gmail.com

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Poor cooling by shanks, warm taps.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	194998

If it is only one line I doubt the problem is cooling the faucets. Three pints is a lot to chill down a faucet. Do all the lines draw co2 from a manifold or do each have their own regulator? Have you determined via switching beers on the problematic line if it is a line problem or a beer problem? Cheers
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

It looks like there are only 2 glycol lines for 7 faucets, maybe that one line is just too far away from any of the glycol lines to stay cool before the beer heads out of the walk-in....

cheers

Comment

Working...
      X