Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem harvesting wlp830 -- yeast hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem harvesting wlp830 -- yeast hole?

I have had some real problems with this ferment, and this yeast. It was a fresh pitch of wlp830 and it took a VERY long time, 3-4 weeks, to get to TG fermenting at about 53 degrees. I finally got it up to D rest at 60 for 2-3 days, then lowered it by 3 degrees per day until 42 yesterday when I attempted to harvest. I apparently pulled a hole through the yeast in the cone. I had only pulled about 1-2 gallons out and then hit beer. I waited 24 hours and tried again today, this time counter pressure filling into my brink so as to have it go super slow. But I still almost immediately hit beer. So I have no yeast to reuse.

At this point, my only option to try to harvest is to transfer the beer to a sanitized empty FV and try to get the yeast out of the bottom of the cone left behind. Anything wrong with going this route? Since it has now been about 4.5 weeks with the yeast in the FV, I am really questioning whether I should just cut my losses and go back to a fresh pitch. I do not have a microscope setup to check on viability, so it is feel, timing, temp and instinct. Any opinions?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

Hey,
    How much yeast did you pitch and whats your batch size and gravity?
    I use 830 as my only lager yeast. It should not take that long, even at first generation. I've run into the harvesting issue you're describing. I would recommend that in the future you harvest the yeast earlier. And maybe bleed off some of the flocced yeast daily the last few days before harvesting.

What you could do right now is rouse the tank with co2 for force yeast back into suspension and then harvest after it flocs again. But as you've said its been in the tank for a long time. You could measure the pH of the yeast to get an indication.
    Marius Graff,
    Head Brewer, Graff Brygghus
    Tromsø, Norway

Comment

I used a 7bbl fresh pitch from white labs, 7 bbl batch, 12p. Per their instructions, I pitched ~66-68, then waited until I saw some activity the next day and slowly lowered it to low 50's by the next night.

Next time I will definitely pull the yeast out earlier. At what point during ferment (days, gravity drop) do you typically harvest? How much are you able to get and what are your batch sizes?
      Dave Cowie
      Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
      Nevada City, CA

Comment

Well you can always brew right back into the fermentor (assuming its been sealed up) just point your racking arm toward the yeast and put your wort in. Now, I am not a fan of this but I have had to do it before and I know 2 brewers that will do this on a regular basis. You can then harvest your yeast sooner like others have said and you wont have the expense of another yeast purchase.
        Mike Eme
        Brewmaster

Comment

I would recommend pitching twice the amount of yeast and starting the fermentation at the lower temp. I find it gives a lot better results. It's more expensive, but better.

I brew on a 7 bbl PKW system. Sometimes I do double batches of lagers as well. You should be able to harvest 4-5 times the amount you pitch. I harvest the yeast when the fermentation is complete and there is no diacetyl present. Which is usually within 10 days of brewing for a 12 plato beer. Then I lager at -1 celsius for 1-2 weeks.

The first generation is always sorta sluggish compared to harvested yeast.
          Marius Graff,
          Head Brewer, Graff Brygghus
          Tromsø, Norway

Comment

Harvesting with this yeast is slow, it doesn't flocculate well. You need to rack the yeast off very slowly so it doesn't channel.

Comment

Working...
            X