Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast for conditioning.

Good morning.
    We currently use Fermentis SafAle 04 dry yeast for primary fermentation with our ales.

We've got a brew in oak barrels which has been sitting there for over 6 months. I want to try a blend with a freshly brewed lot and the barrel aged batch. Will I have to add more yeast for bottle conditioning? Or will there be enough suspended yeast from the fresh brew to start the bottle carbonisation and create sufficient c02 in the beer?

If so, how much yeast is generally added and is it better to use another variety of yeast to bottle condition or will the same Safale04 work well?

Thanks,

S 04 will work for carbonation, Personally I prefer the Fermentis F-2 as its designed to be used for bottling and sticks very well to the bottom of the bottle.

I would add extra yest when you bottle to be on the safe side, you may have enough viable yeast in the barrels, but it may be a slow or inconsistent carbonation, and why risk it.
    Manuel

Comment

I've been using Lallemand CBC-1 and am very happy with it. It gets the job done and then dives for the bottom.

Cheers,
      --
      Don

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Can F-2 be used for primary fermentation too? Sounds good if it sticks to the bottom of bottles.

Otherwise I would need to remove completely the S4 yeast and add F-2 + dextrose only for the bottling?

Comment

I've never tried F-2 in primary, I get it in 20 g packs for bottling and use it only for that. And I've never worried about filtering out the primary yeast, I just use it for bottle conditioning anytime I've got a beer I think might be iffy on carbonating quickly.
          Manuel

Comment

Working...
          X