Anyone use Sinamar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use Sinamar?

I have a pils recipe that I really like and am thinking about using sinamar to change it to a schwarzbier. Any body use it? How does it effect flavor and aroma? Any bitterness? How do you use it? In the boil?end of the boil? fermenter? Bright tank?

I don't mind getting some dehusked carafa but I thought this might be a better way to go. I would like to change the flavor and aroma of the pils as little as possible.

Thanks, The REV

It will lift the body and smooth out the mouth feel IMHO, it is 1516 compliant product and I have never used it as a primary source of colouring more as a back up tool for out of spec beer (an ass saver for missed malt deliveries and tight schedules).

It should work fine and if you like the results and feel you will sleep well at night go for it.

Comment

I vote for carfa

I thought about using sinmar also, but went with the carafa. Added at vorlauff time(I have premilled malt and can jsut dump the bag and stir)
      I think it worked wll, IMO.
      you could probably keep the pils recipe and just include carafa. Add more during sparge if you want more color??
      Good Luck
      Matt
      Matt Van Wyk
      Brewmaster
      Oakshire Brewing
      Eugene Oregon

Comment

BMOOR, What percentage did you use in vorlauf? I'm not sure how much color I will get out of a given amount if it is not introduced until vorlauf. Will it contribute the same amount of color as it would if it were part of the grist?

Comment

I use sinamar for the very thing you are asking about. It works great. I use one jug for a 15bbl batch. I've added it at end of boil, in the whirlpool, even in the body feed of the filter. No problems.
          Vic

Comment

Ive used it to darken a lager to a schwarzbier, and I only used two cups for a 8bbl batch. Very minimal flavor change, no body change, but made it exceedingly dark. Good stuff.

Comment

option to sinamar

check out http://www.aspera-riese.de they offer a much more wider range of rosted malt extract, given you the oportunity for finer adjustment.

and why not using Carafa and extract for greater complexity?

But adding roast malt extract to a standard pils is widly used to quickly produce another beertyp. It is mostly used prior filtration by many german breweries

pm me for help

P.S. i just got free samples from them to try it out, helpful company
              Last edited by Øl-sheik; 12-14-2006, 12:59 PM.
              Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
              X