Damn Noise!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn Noise!!!

I was wondering if any one has had any success sound proofing their brewery? We have a compressor that deafens us all every morning when the kegs are being cleaned. Has anyone had any success sound proofing noisier bits of equipment.

Get a screw compressor, they are a lot less noisy than a piston compressor. Or move your current compressor as far away as you can. But piston compressors will always be really loud.
    Marius Graff,
    Head Brewer, Graff Brygghus
    Tromsø, Norway

Comment

We have successfully put our compressor on a sound deadening box. Make a box with insulation and install an a/c vent at the top to feed the compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can you build a small 'mechanical room' to house the noisy/hot/etc stuff? Otherwise you could get a quieter compressor and take steps to prevent vibration like bolting it to the ground over rubber anti-vibration pads.

Our ingersoll-rand 2 stage (2340L5-V) is a lot queiter than we expected. I woudlnt want to sleep in a room with it but for a factory setting its really not bad. We put it in a small room because we were worried about noise but that may not have been necessary.

Comment

I'll second the rotary compressor answer.

Mine's running right now, ten feet from me in my tiny shop, and it just kind of hums. When the old reciprocating comp kicks in, it scares the Hell out of me!

As an alternative, what others have said--move the comp elsewhere, sound insulate it. Sound insulation is different from thermal insulation--Google it. There is a lot of good advice out there.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

We do the same thing, we just moved our big hd 10 hp air compressor to a back room, and run over head air lines inside as needed, and use a air intake muffler, and rubber base machine pads / feet, that all helps,

Gregg Culhane

Comment

Vibration Isolation Pad superstore. Huge selection of Vibration Pads. Buy Air Compressor Vibration Isolation Pad Direct and save.
              Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
              tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
              "Your results may vary"

Comment

I tried the link but only got...

Access Denied
                You don't have permission to access "http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/tools/vibration-isolation-pads.html" on this server.

Reference #18.336cd417.1495469846.758a60d

Comment

Originally posted by sharperbrewer View Post
                  We have successfully put our compressor on a sound deadening box. Make a box with insulation and install an a/c vent at the top to feed the compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Bingo. We built a box around our old compressor out of sheetrock and 2x4s, baffled at the top opening, with a bathroom fan on the side to help cool/feed it. Worked well but it was a pain to service the compressor and it still had overheating issues. So we put the new one out back and now it's not bothering anyone.
                  Russell Everett
                  Co-Founder / Head Brewer
                  Bainbridge Island Brewing
                  Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
                  X