Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Herb rates per bbl: Balm, Verbena & Thyme?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herb rates per bbl: Balm, Verbena & Thyme?

I was wondering if someone could help me out with dosage rates per bbl for some of these herbs. I'm just looking for some ballpark figures. Please let me know if you used fresh/dried & the results. Thanks in advance.

Balm
    Verbena
    Thyme
    Brad Primozic
    Owner/Brewer
    Insurrection AleWorks
    Heidelberg, PA

Did you ever get any good advice on using thyme?
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

Comment

I can tell you that when I homebrew with these herbs (which I do a lot in the spring and summer) that I add on average 2oz of fresh herb per half barrel and always added to secondary along with dry hops and usually for about the same time (4 days at 60f in muslin bags then pull and crash) Dried herbs I have less experience with.

Comment

Quality matters

As with all ingredients, quality matters for these types of herbs. Fresh is easy to inspect and ascertain and use your nose on dried- if it smells dusty or like hay, it's old or oxidized.

Quantities will depend on how much character you want and what type of beer you're putting them into. All three of these will extract fairly quickly (a few days or a week) in secondary at room temperature. I would suggest pulling a few pints in sealed, purged containers and doing dosing by weight incrementally. You can do all three herbs separately and then blend them at tasting to see if they work well together and in what quantity.

Hope this helps!

Comment

For an upcoming collaboration brew my friend and I plan on putting fresh thyme in his hopback. So while I am doing some dosing experiments on a neutral beer I'm hoping to get feedback from someone who has brewed with thyme on the hot side. I'm thinking that a hopback addition and a whirlpool/boil stop addition would be a fairly good comparison.
          Hutch Kugeman
          Head Brewer
          Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
          Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Working...
          X