No announcement yet.

Make your own GW Kent Coupler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are (at least) two types of keg couplers: Tavern heads, used for serving beer, which have a PRV on the side, and cleaning/filling heads, which don't have a PRV, and usually have a larger bore on the beer tube. For washing/filling, you'll need to remove the ball--which a filler/washer head usually has for some reason.

GWK isn't the only source for brewery parts, nor is it the best nor least expensive. We use mostly Banner and Perlick for our couplers. We don't pay $100 for a cleaning coupler. We don't pay $100 for an all-SS tavern head, for that matter. Shop around!
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by CascadiaHB View Post
      Good to hear from everyone. Over the weekend I took a old coupler and drilled it out. Simply put it on a vice and used a good 1/2" drill then filed it smooth. Sounds like I did not need to do this, many people are saying that they did not do it. I will still give it a shot with cleaning some kegs this week. I am only using this for keg cleaning, not keg filling.

The whole reason I started this is because my DIY keg washer does not empty fast enough. In my 4 min wash cycle I will fill the keg nearly full. It is draining too slowly. Anyone run into this issue?

It only took about 5 minutes to make, so I will see if it works and let you all know.
      I have an oil free air compressor inline with my basic manual setup. Allow me to give the keg a shot of compressed air to help push liquid out within seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by CascadiaHB View Post
        Good to hear from everyone. Over the weekend I took a old coupler and drilled it out. Simply put it on a vice and used a good 1/2" drill then filed it smooth. Sounds like I did not need to do this, many people are saying that they did not do it. I will still give it a shot with cleaning some kegs this week. I am only using this for keg cleaning, not keg filling.

The whole reason I started this is because my DIY keg washer does not empty fast enough. In my 4 min wash cycle I will fill the keg nearly full. It is draining too slowly. Anyone run into this issue?

It only took about 5 minutes to make, so I will see if it works and let you all know.
        Does your keg washer have a CO2 input?, and pressure gauge? We built a version of the Colorado boy keg washer and I find that if I keep about 10psi in the keg during the cleaning cycle it helps keep the keg from filling up. I use the ball valve on the keg coupler output to balance the output flow, at wide open co2 escapes. At the end of our 3-4 minute wash cycle the keg purges in seconds.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Comment

I have CO2 to flush out the liquid after each cycle. I dont currently have a way to keep pressure and have the cycle going at the same time. Not sure how that would work.

Comment

Working...
          X