Thread: The science of bottle/keg conditioning

The science of bottle/keg conditioning

Does anybody know of a good source to consult on "exacting" bottle and keg conditioning/carbonation via re-yeasting and priming?
    Have experimented with this on a pub level but have recognized the differences between keg/bottle. Keg conditioning is seemingly much more difficult to pinpoint to precision [for me, atleast.]
    Some breweries seem to have nailed precision in the art of bottle carbonation - Allagash and Dupont, for example...
    Is there a helpful formula that i should be aware of? [Boost in Gravity from priming - terminal = particular amount of C02 production...]

thanks,
    shaun

I have a copy of the Krausen spreadsheet John Mallet had posted on his Saaz site when he was selling breweries. If you PM me with an e-mail address I'll send a copy. I have never used it but looks complete enough and should be a good jumping off point.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

primings formula

Heres the formula I use, which seems to work pretty well.

g/l = v-vO/0.27027

Where;
    g/l = grams per litre of priming sugar
    v = volumes of CO2 required
    vO = original volumes of CO2 in beer prior to ppriming

for more details check out:
    http://www.unm.edu/~draper/priming.html

(not my work!)

Slainte

Twonk,

Is that formula based on corn sugar as the priming agent or something else?

I use cane sugar

saaz formula

Im a brewer at grand teton and we use the saaz spread sheets for all our bottle and keg conditioning. we put out 4 specialty batches of 60bbl high gravity beer a year and the spread sheets have never failed. we've used both sugar priming and kruezening. however, sugar priming was not as effective as kruezening. with sugar priming selecting healthy, viable yeast can be a problem where as yeast in solution during kruezen is most desirable. keg conditioning is easier to to do than bottle conditioning if you do not have a counter pressure filler. just a note.