Yeast Pitching Temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Pitching Temp

Just talked to someone over at Imperial Yeast who recommends pitching their yeast strains at cold temperatures. As close to 32 degrees as you can get straight into the produced wort. Is this typical for all yeast strains other than Imperial? Typically I will let the yeast warm up throughout the day and pitch it as close to the temperature of the wort as possible, but I was told this starves the yeast of their sugar reserves and it actually can create off flavors by letting it warm up.

Odd

At first I thought you meant getting your wort to 32° and then pitching your 32° yeast into it. After re-reading I think you mean knocking out at desired starting ferm temp and pitching 32° yeast? This does not sound ideal to me, I've always thought 15° was the max differential and it was even less if your yeast is warmer than the wort it's going into. Maybe if you used a brink to pitch and backflowed some wort into your brink to temper the yeast before pitching you could go from 32° to sixty-whatever in a short amount of time.

Comment

Every brewery I have worked in for nearly 30 years pitched yeast cold, with the exception of one that top cropped from open fermenters. Commonly, the yeast would be harvested and kept in a cold brink (either glycol chilled or rolled into a walk in) until use, or a cone to cone pitch from a crashed tank just before knock out.

Comment

Pitching Temp.

I have been using Imperial for over a year and as their instructions says sanitize and pitch right out of the frig. I have used about eight different types in trying to find a couple different yeast styles for my house yeast. I always store the cans upside down and turn them right side up on the start of brew day and pitch them cold right out of the frig. They regularly get to the higher attenuation percentage and sometimes even a couple percent higher. I did a California Common using their Cablecar and the attenuation was 78% with their ave attenuation states 71%.

Brad
        History repeats might as well make Historical Styles

Comment

Working...
        X