IPA Turned Red in the Can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPA Turned Red in the Can

This was the best section of the forum to post this I guess. We have now had twice (that we know of) our DIPA turn red in the can. This beer is a light colored IPA. We recently had a customer send us a picture of it, as this was the first I've seen it. We did have one of our employees catch one a while back, but he didn't get a picture. This customer bought a 4 pack and 3 of the beers were fine and one came out red. It was fine when the beer went into the can, and the the rest of the 8,000 cans were fine. I really don't understand what would cause this. The beer was in the can for maybe a week or so, and the customer said is tasted ok, but a bit metallic.

Has anybody else experienced this, or have any idea what mechanism could be causing this? It's like a beer or two out of every 30,000 cans or so(that we know of, but we haven't really seen any bad reviews on rating sites either)

Here is a picture of the red beer and the color that it was when it when into the can.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170529_175839.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	195041
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170315_210127.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	195042

Oxidation

Sure looks like oxidation to me. Must have been a random short fill. It looks like its a rare occurrence during a run, so I wouldn't worry too much about it....just carefully watch the filling and try to catch the rare short fill.

Cheers,

Brian Seffer
    Owner/Head Brewer
    Claremont Craft Ales

Comment

I'll second that it looks like oxidation. We had a period last year that some customers were finding our Blonde ale to be brown. Found out that we had a leaking fill head gasket we didn't find for several weeks, so one fill head was adding compressed air while filling the beer. Overall, it wasn't turning every can from that fill head brown, but quite a few. Might have been a combination of low fills and compressed air. Keep an eye on your gaskets and fill levels.

Comment

Oxidation

Yeah I would be pretty sure that this is caused by oxidation. I`ve seen it happen to a lot of breweries. When it seems random it`s usually because of stoppages during packaging. Unless your packaging line has some serious damages or design flaws.
        Marius Graff,
        Head Brewer, Graff Brygghus
        Tromsø, Norway

Comment

I would guess oxidation as well. Did they say anything about the flavors? Muted hops, sickly sweet, etc?

Comment

Thanks everyone, what we figured out is getting the right level of foam prior to the lid dropping on. We did extensive DO and TPO testing and really narrowed it down to that. What was shocking about it was with this style of beer, it really turned red immediately(like overnight) with a certain level of package oxygen. That was a new experience with it turning that quick. The weird thing was during the testing, we blasted pure O2 through our stone into a growler and left it out for a week and it didn't turn red.

Comment

Working...
            X