Square POS & Bottle Deposits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square POS & Bottle Deposits

We use the Square POS in our taproom and recently started some small scale bottling. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to collect bottle deposits within the Square software? Right now I'm just adding up the bottles sold to figure the amount I need to set aside, but I can see that becoming cumbersome in the future. I considered adding a new item for a deposit, but that seems prone to bartenders forgetting to add to a sale. Any help?

Sorry I cant answer your question. But I would like to inquire about your experience with Square, would you recommend it for a 3BBL Brewery/Taproom? Focusing on in pint/growler sales.

Comment

We have a separate item for deposits. It requires that all staff remember to use it and we set it to bring up the amount entry so that we only have to enter a single item for the complete deposit. For returns we have a discount item. We make sure to enter the full deposit and the full return on each transaction. Occasionally we get bottle returns without a sale which means we take a note of the amount and deal with it off line so that our cash box matches.

As for suitability for a 3Bbl taproom, it will do fine. Depends on what you are looking for. We use it in our taproom (12oz, flights, 4oz, ice-cream, coffee, retail items, bottle and growler sales). We don't use the Square processing as it does not include debit cards in Canada. Does not integrate with accounting software which makes for more work reconciling the books but as far as POS goes, it's fine.

Comment

Square works

Originally posted by fluxgame View Post
        We use the Square POS in our taproom and recently started some small scale bottling. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to collect bottle deposits within the Square software? Right now I'm just adding up the bottles sold to figure the amount I need to set aside, but I can see that becoming cumbersome in the future. I considered adding a new item for a deposit, but that seems prone to bartenders forgetting to add to a sale. Any help?
        I use square for both the taproom and separate food business. I agree with later posts, you need to train and verify your employees are following procedures. I would set up an item for returns. Square also dumps into Quickbooks on the web. I have not done this yet because we have the two business and it would cost more than we have now but I do use square for time cards. Only enhancement I'd like to see is swiping cards to set up a ticket then charge to it at end of day if they walk out.

Comment

Square works well in our small tap room as well. As far as bottle deposits we have a button for the deposit right next to all the bottle sku buttons,and that button is highlighted a bright color. Also have a note taped to bar reminding people to add deposits as a backup. Gotta have it in your SOPs and train them as well. As far as returns we don't handle bottle returns, just the occasional growler return, and for that we treat it as a paid out, which keeps the drawer in check.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Bottle Deposits

Originally posted by fluxgame View Post
            I don't see the necessity to keep a separate tally for deposits. We sell bottles, cases and 4-Pak cans from the tasting room. The display prices give the product price - example 4-Pak IPA is $9.60. However, when the customer rings up the 4-Pak, it rings up as $10.00.

We never get returns at the brewery because we're in Oregon and almost everyone returns their cans to a state recycling cooperative to whom we pay a fee.

We just run sales reports in Square to see how many items we sold (and therefore how much deposit we collected). However, we do have a "procedure" in place to ring in deposit credits should anyone ever return an empty to us.

Ian

Comment

We use Square for our taproom as well as for invoicing our wholesale accounts. We charge a $30 deposit for kegs. I have "discount" buttons for keg returns. What I don't like about it is that it makes the keg deposits revenue, even when included with a discount. For example, if I have sell 1 keg to an account and pick up 2 returns, i charge for the 1 keg and its deposit, then apply the return discount. When they pay the invoice the sales report says i made the full amount with deposits even though the actual amount paid was less.

Comment

Working...
              X