Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canning from kegs?!?! Crazy i know!!!

SUP FAM,

So, we are a small brewery that has existing accounts that take both cans and bottles of our products. We we're chris brew ting at an impeccabley buttoned up facility, but have taken the leap into our own facility. We have access to a sweet WILD GOOSE canning line, but not enough hose to transfer the beer into brights on that side of the world. Initially, we are planning on daisy chaining 8 kegs together to run beer without changing kegs every ten minutes.

My question:

Is this a headache waiting to happen, or is this something that somebody has done before? If you have done it, what were your results? Tips and tricks? Have drinkable beer handy because it will be a veritable nightmare?

Yours,

Dan from Fire Island Beer

In order to package effectively you need to keep the beer as cold as possible during the process, and the supply pressure also very constant. Bottling and canning from kegs can be done, it has high losses and the product consistency will likely suffer. I say this about all bottling/canning, be very leery of jumping into packaging like this without fully understanding what is required for quality. In short, if you aren't going to do it right, don't do it. For you, I would stay in the draught world for now, same decision we made until we are ready to spend the capital to do it right.

Comment

We've done it more than once... We typically only get around 4.5 cases per 1/2 barrel if we're lucky. It's doable. Just a ton of loss. Good luck!

Edit: Super slow fills. Keep kegs on ice if possible.

Comment

I would imagine that every time the keg or kegs blow you are going to suffer huge losses trying to get your system free from breakout and running smoothly again, as well as pickup a ton of DO fighting all that foam....but I've never canned from a keg before.

What is preventing you from just getting a long enough hose to get to your bright tank near the canning line?

Comment

It is doable. We've done it when we were in a pinch but you have a TON of waste and you WILL lose a few points on CO2 Vol. Not to mention it takes for damn ever to dial in a canning line. But... its doable.

Comment

Working...
          X