What filtration system 1.5 BB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What filtration system 1.5 BB

I hope someone can set me straight. I have 1.5BB fermenters and want to filter straight to the kegs. I am producing pale ales but my yeast choice - Windsor - remains heavily in suspension even after 1-2 months of aging at room temperature ( and fining for 48 hours at 2C. I tried using a single 0.5 micron 20" cartridge filter but it clogged after 10 gallons. These are not cheap so I need advice on a better system (and better fining procedure as well). Any advice?

John

We first drop the temp to 40 F and then fine with Alginex for 2-3 days. We then pull any settlings and add Biofine Clear for another 2-3 days. For most of our beers this is enough and the beer is very bright.

If we want it even more clear, we use a plate and frame filter and 3 micron pads. It is almost impossible to filter 0.5 micron in a single pass.

For the beers we make 3 micron is plenty clear.

Comment

Plate filter

This could be a good solution, you can have two sets of pads one more loose and then a tighter filtration to get the clarity you are looking for. We use a lager yeast that doesn't floc very well either. If we biofine and get good dispersement a minimum of 3-4 days gets clarity enough to filter without clogging the filter after a small amount is done and it being a total waste of time. After 4 days its as clear as it is going to get and we can generally filter the whole run. Much larger batches, 60-100bbl and we use a Pall 16" 4 stack, but the concept is the same. I would suggest a longer biofine crash and dropping whatever settles along the way. That plate and frame should do a fine job for your size batches. With your size batches your filter options are kind of limited, but maybe a 12" single stack lenticular would work also.

Plate & frame filter press is made in Italy by MORI TEM.  It is built entirely out of 304L stainless steel.  A plate & frame filter press is a tool used in separation and filtration processes in order to separate solids and liquids.  Our filter is designed to filter wine, beer, distilled spirits, olive oil and other liquids.  This filter can hold 30 filter sheets in the 20 cm by 20 cm size. This filter is mounted on wheels for easy mobility. It includes a crossover plate in the middle.  The crossover/divider plate allows you to do a double filtration in a single pass.  In other words, when you use the divider plate you can use 15 coarser filter sheets in the front and 15 finer filter sheets in the back.  By removing the crossover plate you use all 30 filter sheets of the grade of fineness. The plates are made of Noryl, which is food grade sanitary and can be steam sterilized.  You can remove about 5 plates when doing a smaller filter run, and can add about 5 plates when doing a bigger run, but you would need to purchase some extra plates. This filter comes with a ½ hp centrifugal pump with 110 V plug.  Uses small 20 cm X 20 cm filter sheets.  Standard 40 cm X 40 cm filter sheets can be sliced into 4 equal squares and then used in this filter.
      Luch Scremin
      Engine 15 Brewing Co.
      luch at engine15 dot com

Comment

Working...
      X