Autoclavable Keg Coupler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autoclavable Keg Coupler

Does anyone have any recommendations on an autoclavable keg coupler to pull sterile samples from kegs for plating? I'm assuming the seals and plastic parts on standard couplers would not withstand the autoclave.
    Last edited by QCJohanna; 06-21-2017, 08:11 AM.

The handle can easily be removed and has no product contact. The interior seals are or should be Buna or Viton, which I believe can be autoclaved. How will you sanitize the seal of the keg? Why wouldn't the same treatment work for the coupler?
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

The inside is fine, but yeah, the handle will melt. Guess how I know...
      Russell Everett
      Co-Founder / Head Brewer
      Bainbridge Island Brewing
      Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

What Timm said, no reason you can't use iso-alcohol to sterilize both sides of the coupler. Just like taking samples from a zwickle, hit it with iso(or flame), let beer run through for a second, collect your sample and you're done. No sense in auto-claving if both sides aren't receiving the same treatment. As for the rubbers, I believe standard is Buna-N, it is rated to 250F, which just happens to be the lowest autoclaving temperature that is required when using steam. Though the rubber can take 250, it will wear out much faster if this is done regularly. If you can find them, Viton would be a better bet, it is rated to 440F. The Micromatic filling/washing heads use a Teflon probe gasket, the rest are buna, teflon is good to 400F.

Comment

Working...
        X