Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Demand Hot Water

Greetings all,

I have been looking into industrial size on demand water heaters. Does anyone have any experience with using these in a brewery? We are currently expanding from 1 bbl to 3.5 bbl operation. I am just interested in saving space by not having a big HLT in an cramped space. I want to be able to double brew if needs be and make sure I have enough hot water to do so. But I would need an HLT that may be too large for our space. Thus, on demand hot water. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

I used them in a small winery that I started out in. They heat very efficiently and hold a solid temp.

Comment

We use a Rinnai RL94i we brew 3-5bbl size batches with no HLT, we had an HLT but never used it so I removed it. Works great no problems or complaints, the flow rate depends on the temperature rise you want. If your water supply is very cold and you want really hot water you will run fairly slow but probably still fast enough for a 3.5bbl. if you really wanted to you could put two in series and have even more flow at up to 185 deg. F. The flow rate to temp rise on this unit table is below. This should be sufficient even in extreme cases, if you had 45 deg water and wanted to raise it 125deg to mash out at 170 your flow rate would be 3gpm which would give you 2.5bbl of mash out water in 26 minutes, I doubt if you want to mash out that fast anyways.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	deltaflow.png
Views:	1
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	191430
      Luch Scremin
      Engine 15 Brewing Co.
      luch at engine15 dot com

Comment

In some applications, it is a good idea to have two in series. That way you can keep an increased flow rate by having one raise the base temp up a bit then the second reaching the desired temp. Also, they are great for having options on the temp of your water incase you don't always want the same temp of hot water available.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with tankless heaters in high carbonate hardness situations? We have something like 180ppm carbonate in our water and I'm wondering how often we'll need to clean the heaters.

For our 20 bbl brewhouse, we're planning on a double-insulated 40 bbl HLT, with two commercial Rinnais--probably the C199--in parallel to heat the water, and a single Rinnai in the brewhouse for direct heating of sparge water.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
            Does anyone have experience with tankless heaters in high carbonate hardness situations? We have something like 180ppm carbonate in our water and I'm wondering how often we'll need to clean the heaters.

For our 20 bbl brewhouse, we're planning on a double-insulated 40 bbl HLT, with two commercial Rinnais--probably the C199--in parallel to heat the water, and a single Rinnai in the brewhouse for direct heating of sparge water.
            This isn't really an answer to your question, but in the past I've pre-treated the water before heating with a tankless heater. Though, to be honest, it was more about pretreatment prior to demineralization than keeping scale out of the heater. I presume you remove both the carbonate and non-carbonate hardness later, right? If you're on well water, and storing it in a tank, you could pre-treat the whole thing with lime softening. You can't get the softening reaction to go to completion at low temperature, but you should be able to get it down to 30-50ppm. The specifics depend on how much magnesium is in the water, but it basically uses Lime to soften the water.

Regards,
            Mike Sharp

Comment

Hi Timm,
              I ran a similar setup and we ran a clean cycle every 6 months, if we were busier I would have increased that to every quarter just to make sure we didn't end up with issues.

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post

Comment

On Demand Hot Water

The 'Tankless Water Heater' is the one that gives you on demand hot water heater.

If you are looking for water heater thats fits your need and budget too than go for tankless water heater.

For complete review of tankless water heater have look on best tankless water heater.

Comment

Working...
                X