Cleaning Plastic Conicals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Plastic Conicals

First off, thank you everyone. This forum has been a ton of help over the years and now that we are getting closer to opening our brewery I figured it's finally time to join.

So, for the longest time I've been of the mindset plastic fermenters were not the smart choice. Funny how you're point of view changes when it comes time to calculate startup costs. As of now the plan is to use plastic conicals and control the temperature with an immersion coil style setup. I see a lot of people have drilled holes in the sides and lids to mount thermowells, racking arms, blow off, etc. I'd assume these fittings would cause a serious issue when it comes to cleaning. Do you have to remove them every time?

I recently spoke to a brewer that mentioned that they never remove the bottom threaded connection that connects the dump valve to the cone because it tends to wear out the plastic threads. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Can anyone tell me if they have to remove the bulkheads to clean?

Comment

Thats exactly my setup. I do not remove my bulkheads when I clean. Haven't had an issue yet. I clean with hot caustic and PAA.

Comment

Thank you. I hear people clean these at a pretty high temperature. But most the the tanks I'm seeing have a max temperature of 130ish. Any issue with that?

Comment

Working...
        X