Biofine experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biofine experience

I have read different reviews/users of Biofine on this website, but I am a little worried about a beer that I have. I read in a few places that K97 was a highly flocculant yeast (tried a new yeast on a proven batch). Lo and behold, it tastes amazing, but this yeast is SUPER low flocculant. Now I'm a little worried because this beer is supposed to be brilliant clear, and it's murky. (only 120 gallons). I added biofine in the tank (at the top), and immediately turned on the carbonation stone and purged headspace with CO2. Another brewery said it should be okay, but I am double-checking plan B.

I'm a little concerned that this may not have cleared (though it may have, I haven't been able to check yet). IF I see that this beer hasn't cleared, I am considering manually adding gelatin in the kegs, and fill as per usual, praying that the gelatin in the keg can at least clear it some....pulling off the junk in the first pitcher or so...

Any thoughts? Am I freaking out over nothing? First time using Biofine.

Thanks!

CO2 mixing may work, it is better dosed inline. If you need to you can use the racking arm and recirculate the beer to mix. Biofine works well with yeast, though the less flocculant the strain, the less the biofine will work. I think a lesson may have been learned, and it is one that should be shared with anyone who wants to start a brewery, don't make a huge change in a recipe without first testing it small scale. You can loose a batch, or even worse, sell it and have your reputation ruined because a bad decision was made out of disparity. I know that quality has been harped on many times before, but this is our industry and we should be compelled to make the best beer we can, no compromises.

There are lots of posts about the use of Biofine/Nalco 1072/Kieselsol on the forums, use the search function and you will find everything you ever wanted to know about it.

Comment

Been dealing with this issue too. Buy the 5 gallon containers and shake it up really well before each use. Also make sure you're adding zinc to your wort for the yeast. Beer should clear up real nice.

Comment

As mentioned above, dosing inline is the best way to go. FWIW, I recently used K97 for a Kolsch, dosed inline with ~90ml/bbl, and the beer is absolutely crystal.
        Dave Cowie
        Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
        Nevada City, CA

Comment

Biofine works best when it is well mixed. So either add inline when transferring to the brite, or spin the tank using your pump (out the bottom, back in the through the racking arm pointing up). We typically use 50-75ml/bbl and get VERY clear beer hen adding inline or spinning the tank with a pump. The few times I have added biofine through the dry hop port, I've bubbled CO2 through the racking arm to help with mixing but it never works as well as the other two methods I've mentioned.
          Kevin Drake
          Alibi Ale Works
          North Lake Tahoe

Comment

Working...
          X