Help with filling co2 tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with filling co2 tanks

Hope someone can help. Our c02 supplier can no longer bring his large tank in to refill for us. (We are in Bermuda, so no other choices available for small tanks). We have imported 50lb tanks and stem\valve combo for re- filling. My problem is no matter what I try, I can't seem to get more than a couple of lbs into an empty tank. I have tried putting in a little and then bleeding it out to cool the tank, keeping them in a cold room, putting receiving tank into a bucket of water. nothing seems to work. I can only get about 5lbs into a 20lb tank, 1.5 lbs in a 5 lb tank, ect... We have some bars that depend on us for their co2 and we are spending way too much time running tanks around that are only 25% capacity. Any ideas appreciated

Freeze those tanks to be filled. In my experience you need a temperature difference of at least 50-60 degrees F in order to fill all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by toniorfeo View Post
      Freeze those tanks to be filled. In my experience you need a temperature difference of at least 50-60 degrees F in order to fill all the way.
      Thanks, I'll give that a go. I have been putting them in the walk in without it helping, but will try freezer, Thanks

Comment

I guess this is obvious, but I thought I would mention it. If you have a standard 50lb tank with the CGA320 valve, you have to have the 50lb tank inverted, in order to get any significant liquid out. Some bulk tanks have a liquid out that doesn't need to be inverted, but commercially they use a pump to fill small bottles. I never had much luck getting the small tank 100% full, but it's been a long time since I've tried it. If I recall, we were happy with about 2/3 full. I've never tried using a freezer, but it makes sense.

Comment

What they said...

You will want to use a syphon tube in the supply tank so that you are pushing liquid out and into your receiving tank. It's a different tank from most. Keeping it cool helps. You don't want to vaporize any more CO2 than is necessary. I also never got 100% full, but a 20# tank even half full will dispense lots of kegs.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I'm very happy to get 4 lb in a 5 lb can. Usually more like 3. I re-fill 5 lb cans for customers with keggerators.

Leaving the can to be filled overnight in a -30F chest freezer helps immensely.

If you're filling 20 lb cans from 50, don't expect to get more than 2 out of it. I can usually fill (partially) 3 5 lb cans, or 3 and a short from a 20 lb siphon tank.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Terminal Gravity Brewing,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
            X