Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtration issues with dry-hopped/fruited beers

Aloha everyone,

We brew a POG(Passion fruit, orange and guava) IPA on a regular basis. The fruit additions are all in the whirlpool, passion fruit and guava are concentrates and the OJ is just normal OJ. The guava is actually more of a paste than a liquid. Our procedure is to fermenter hop, so we add the hops to the tank before wort enters the vessel. We bung the tank around day 4 and do a 1st dump. 24 hrs after chilling and 48 hours after chilling there will be additional dumps to get rid of hops/yeast. Normally day 3 of chilling is filter day... but even on ferms that have been chilled for a week we still have major filter issues. We have a 10m2 Velo vertical leaf DE filter and a secondary candle trap filter. The delta pressure on the filter instantly rises roughly 10 bbls into the filtration of an 80 bbl tank. We normally have to reset the filter just to get through one ferm of this beer. I'm fairly certain that the fruit juices contributing long chain sugars are what is clogging the filter and a healthy dose of pectinase might be able to help us. I'm looking for some other outside perspectives though as to what may be helpful. I will happily answer any other questions about process and procedures, look forward to seeing some interesting answers! Thanks everyone!
Working...
X