outdoor Fermentation Tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outdoor Fermentation Tanks

In an effort to maximize our space we are looking in to putting some of our fermenters out doors. They will potentially be in the 5 bbl range. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    I am concerned about temp control especially in the winter when low 30s and occasionally 20s are common. with a large enough glycol chiller and tick enough jackets I think summer will be controllable as we are rarely out of the 70s and 80s.

We have two ferms that stick out about half their height through the roof. Our temps vary from triple-digits to -20F. We have no problems maintaining the temperature in the ferms, but they are jacketed and well insulated 55bbl ferms.

The biggest problem I can see with fully out door tanks is the exposed plumbing--especially the bottom fittings and valves and the PRV and spunding valves.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
      We have two ferms that stick out about half their height through the roof. Our temps vary from triple-digits to -20F. We have no problems maintaining the temperature in the ferms, but they are jacketed and well insulated 55bbl ferms.

The biggest problem I can see with fully out door tanks is the exposed plumbing--especially the bottom fittings and valves and the PRV and spunding valves.
      Do you do anything different for temp control over the winter or just glychol

Comment

When I worked at Great Divide we had a handful of 300bbl fermentors outside. The insulation was very thick, at least 6". The tanks were designed to be outdoors. We never had any problems with holding heat, we had the ability to put hot water through the jackets but never did. The biggest problem the blow-off buckets would freeze up in the winter, so we would have to add glycol or glycerin to them... I'm sure that got spendy.

My current brewery has all indoor tanks but we're in a big warehouse with 50 year old insulation. The first winter here I could walk around with a thermometer and see freezing temperatures in the brewery. That being said our tanks would "crash" themselves. This has led to problems with certain yeast strains going dormant a little too soon. I solved that problem by selecting a strain that ferments at lower temperatures.

So if you get tanks designed for it I don't think you'll have a problem. Although 5bbl tanks will never have that much thermal mass, and the amount of insulation needed to hold fermentation temps might be cost prohibitive. You could put in a hot water/glycol loop to solve this, but again for a handful of 5bbl FV you have to ask yourself if it's worth it.

Comment

Oops--I missed the 5 bbl part! I think you'll have problems maintaining fermentation temps during the winter. Too much surface area/volume, too little thermal mass and heat from fermentation.

We haven't had to heat our 1/2 outdoor 55 bbl tall ferms at all. Just regular JVNW tanks with standard insulation.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
          X