Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your yeast propagation setup?

Hi all,

I would like to see other's setup for yeast propagating. I get mixed results with my setup wich is a modified half barrel keg with a aeration stone and some valves. I propagate for 10BBL of wort. My SOP is to start a 5L starter with 4 smack packs on a stirplate for 24 to 48hrs then transfer the whole into 45L of wort in my modified keg. I plug pure oxygen around 1L/minute, this is where I think I could do better, I am wasting a lot of oxygen since most of it just comes out of solution. What would be the ideal oxygenation rate for maximum growth? Should I use a pump to recirculate yeast? What kind of pump? I also have trouble taking a sample since my sample port is from the bottom and yeast tend to clump there no matter the yeast strain. I have no way to see if yeast is stuck to the bottom of the keg. I had to under pitch a couple times because the count was not high enough.

Thanks

My biggest suggestion would be to get some type of agitator in your propagation keg. Yeast is a very heavy insulator and without any agitation you will have varying temperatures throughout your prop which will have a big effect on the final outcome. I can't say for sure on the O2 amount... but i believe you are looking for something around 15-20 ppm D.O. for optimal growth. Pumping/recirc'ing the yeast probably isn't a great a idea, it has a chance to heat up the yeast and possibly shear and damage the yeast. Best of luck!

-Kevin W.

Comment

Anyone else?

I'd be very interested if anyone else has any thoughts on this

Comment

Yeast Propigation

A quick condensed overview of our process is this: (we have a 7 BBL system)

We make one 3.5 BBL starter from DME in the 10 Plato, 1.038=1.040 range. This takes 2 bags of DME, 120 gallons of water. This saves time and gives us a reserve of starter wort ready to go.

Day before a brew:
        We calculate the cell count of what we are going to need.
        Calculate how many 1 liter - 1.2BIL/ML packs of yeast we are going to use. (As cheap and better than smack packs)
        Add the starter wort to the fermenter, thoroughly oxygenate the entire batch going in by use of a T with a carb stone and pure medical grade oxygen.
        Add the yeast pack(s).
        It sits building cells in a temperature controlled fermenter (70 degrees) for 24 hours.
        Add your next day beer on top of the starter in the fermenter, verify the yeast count again, set your ferm temp for that beer.

It is a pretty simple process, save us money by not buying full pitch yeast and our yeast counts are always spot on. Usually the next day after pitching the starter you can see activity through the blow off bucket. You limit the areas of possible contamination, and the starter wort never sees outside air. (We push it into the fermenter with CO2).

We only use our yeast brink kegs for harvesting select yeast and pitching slurry.

If you want more details, feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Comment

What do you mean by 1 liter packs? 3.5BBL starter seems like a lot for a 7BBL batch?

Comment

3.5 BBL batch

We buy 1 liter packs. I did not make myself clear on the amount used.

We pre-make the starter in a 3.5 BBL batch, we don't use that much, usually 15 gallons of it. The rest is kegged and set aside for other brews. Making it ahead of time, keeps the labor cost down.

Comment

Working...
            X