Filling sixtels from 1/2 bbl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling sixtels from 1/2 bbl

Has anyone filled sixtels or 1/4 bbl kegs from half bbl kegs? My half bbl kegs are my tax vessels but I need to put into something smaller for distribution. Any suggestions on an effective way to do it while maintaining carb levels? I'm used to filling kegs from the brite where I can watch and adjust the tank pressure to keep it steady.

No different than filling from a brite tank. Standard coupler out to filler coupler in. Pressurize the receiving keg to the pressure of the sending keg and then slowly release pressure from the receiving keg. Just don't go too fast. I'd recommend putting the receiving keg on a scale and monitoring the transfer rate.

Comment

As mswebb said - it's dead easy. You need a regular sanke connector on your 1/2bbl, and one that is modified on your 1/4 or 1/6 with the check devices removed to allow the beer into the outlet, and to allow gas to vent out the usual "gas in" port.

One of these is a big help:

This is our exclusive auto-stop attachment. It fills a keg in 8-10 minutes and then shuts off the flow automatically. No more overflows. No more wasted time baby-sitting your kegs while filling. It needs to be connected to a keg coupler, such as our SKU # 2512 MicroMatic coupler. Our Beer Stop FOB can also be used with other international keg couplers besides Sankey D, such as G, U, A and S systems. This part # 5923 is only the attachment. If you also need a keg coupler with it you can order SKU # 5922 which comes complete with the MicroMatic coupler. You can even fill multiple kegs at the same time by hooking several up to a manifold. Our SKU # 3210 and # 3211 are examples of how this can be done. Spare parts are always available here at G.W. Kent. Over 20,000 of these great keg fillers are in use today on 5 continents. It pays for itself quickly from savings in labor and spilled beer.

It's grossly overpriced, but it's helpful. Since I bought mine I no longer weigh the kegs as I fill. It stops when it's full, period.

-J.
      Last edited by Jer; 07-18-2017, 10:51 PM.
      Jeremy Reed
      Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
      The North of 48 Brewing Company
      Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping it was as simple as is seemed. Would you just keep the co2 pressure on the 1/2 bbl keg at serving pressure or crank it up a bit?

Comment

......and getting decent fills on all 3 sixtels is dependent on how full the half was. Also like others have said, go slow. And at the first sign of foam out of the first two sixtels, stop the fill and move on the the next sixtel.

Comment

Originally posted by fatback View Post
            Thanks for the replies. I was hoping it was as simple as is seemed. Would you just keep the co2 pressure on the 1/2 bbl keg at serving pressure or crank it up a bit?
            I'd suggest keeping it at the same pressure that you carbonated at. That should keep all your CO2 in solution instead of as foam.

That GW Kent thing that I linked to does a great job of "going slow" and maintaining some backpressure, again, to keep that gas where it belongs....
            Jeremy Reed
            Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
            The North of 48 Brewing Company
            Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Working...
            X