Vorlauf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vorlauf

I would like to ask a stainless steel fabricator to add a piece so we can recirculate our wort to clear it before it goes to the copper. At present, we have to do without this step. I thought I would ask what other brewers are using for this step and if there were any recommendations about what to ask for and what not to ask for. Pictures please would be awesome.

Don't you just connect your grant to your sparge arm, allow the wort to clear, and then connect it to the boil kettle? Are you looking at somehow filtering your wort from the grant before you put it into the boil kettle?

Comment

Looks like you can vorlauf and sparge with this...https://www.gwkent.com/sparger-head.html

Comment

I wouldn't advise using your sparging tool ( spray ball or other similiar fitting) to vorlauf. The potential to clog it is just too high. I would have your fabricator weld a pipe through the top of your kettle and point the outlet of the pipe down with an angled cut having the wort run along the wall of the kettle to prevent hot side O2 pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by blonberg View Post
          Don't you just connect your grant to your sparge arm, allow the wort to clear, and then connect it to the boil kettle? Are you looking at somehow filtering your wort from the grant before you put it into the boil kettle?
          I don't want to get spent grain stuck inside the sparge arms. It is a strong possibility given its design

Comment

Originally posted by BroadWay411 View Post
            I wouldn't advise using your sparging tool ( spray ball or other similiar fitting) to vorlauf. The potential to clog it is just too high. I would have your fabricator weld a pipe through the top of your kettle and point the outlet of the pipe down with an angled cut having the wort run along the wall of the kettle to prevent hot side O2 pickup.
            Do you have an image of this?

Comment

Here is a pic inside my mash tun. The two balls in the centre are for sparging and cleaning. The vorlauf tube is on the left: it comes in through the top of the tun, and is angled so the wort flows down the wall. There is no noticeable channelling in the grain bed below the vorlauf tube.

HTH

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0062.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	191456

Comment

We're pretty happy with our set up- We have a tri clamp port on the inside of our mash tun that is connected via the pipelines for recirc. We attach a silicone hose to the TC port on the inside of the tun, the hose drapes down to the top of the grain bed to prevent any hot side O2, and the hose flops over the rakes when they come around if we have the rakes on.

Comment

vorlauf

We built our mash tun with a swing arm where we could use the kettle pump to recirc the wort through the same piping that our strike water entered the hydrator. We removed the hydrator or rotated out of the way and connected to the vorlauf arm with a tri clamp. we welded a 1.5 inch fitting through the top of the mash and another into the top of the tank next to the hydrator. A swing arm, a tri clamp on a 90 that connected outside the tank we could rotate to connect to this fitting or the hydrator. We then extended a pipe into the tank just below the surface of the wort with a 90. We ran wort between the grain bed and the top of the wort. We had multiple length of pipe depending on the size of the grain bill that we used and effectively ran wort right across the top of the grain bed under the surface of the wort reducing hot side areation.

it worked very well and was very simple to operate.
                  Trent
                  Shades of Pale
                  Park City UT

Comment

Working...
                  X