Lacto sour stalled at PH 3.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacto sour stalled at PH 3.7

We've had some good kettle/fermenter soured Berliner batches that soured quickly down to 3.3 or so. But on a few batches, the souring process has slowed / stalled and the wort began fermenting a bit. We typically reboil at this time and proceed as usual. We have been using a lot of Good Belly to make starters. We usually keep our temps in the range from 95-100* F. I read Plantarum works best in the 80-90* F range.

This time, the wort seems stuck at PH 3.7 and it is just barely fermenting. I'm considering chilling it down for a few days so I can prepare another starter. then I'll heat up the fermenter with hot water and proceed as usual to try and get down to PH 3.3.

Has anyone had success letting this situation ride? ie not pitching more starter or waiting out a Lacto souring that's slow?

thanks
    Scott Swygert
    Founder - Honky Tonk Brewing Co.

you should also be measuring titratable acidity, its a better measurement on the amount of acid and how sour the beer will taste. Hanna has a cheep kit with all you need.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

New Omega lacto starter

After reading a few comments here, I decided to order a lacto blend pitch from Omega and will post results.

Still wondering if the ph is too low for the bacteria to restart. Reminds me of how hard it is to get yeast to fully attenuate a beer that is partially fermented.
      Scott Swygert

Comment

Omega lacto blend won't let you down, and won't start a fermentation midway through the souring

Comment

Hanna titratable kit?

Originally posted by Ted Briggs View Post
          you should also be measuring titratable acidity, its a better measurement on the amount of acid and how sour the beer will taste. Hanna has a cheep kit with all you need.
          The only kit I saw was $825. Is there a less expensive option?
          Scott Swygert

Comment

PH results from Omega starter

I pitched another 5 gals. starter after preparing with 1 liter Omega lacto blend then added it to our wort.

I probably didn't get the optimum results because the wort temp was about 80* to start. We then heated it up to around 90* but then it started fermenting again. I chose to go ahead and boil. The PH dropped from about 3.7 to 3.6 with the second addition of starter.

Seems like the rule is get it done right the first time with plenty of active cells.
            Scott Swygert

Comment

Lacto plantarum

Hi,
              My name is Caroline and I am the East Coast Manager for Lallemand Brewing. I cannot speak for all Lactobacillus plantarum strains, but in our new dried strain (also a Lactobacillus plantarum) WildBrew Sour Pitch we have found through multiple tests that the ideal innoculation temperature is right at 100F, and
              perhaps one or two degrees below. This temp will significantly decrease the souring time. Info on our brand new kettle souring lacto strain here: http://www.lallemandbrewing.com/prod...ew-sour-pitch/
              the Tech Data Sheet is at the bottom of the page and has some information that may cross over to other strains as well.
              I also have a "Best Practices" PDF for kettle souring with Lactobacillus plantarum if anyone would like it. Feel free to reach out cparnin@lallemand.com
              Cheers,
              Caroline

Comment

Swags-

There's a lot of good titration info on the internet, but here's a place to start:

The procedure is pretty straight forward.

We purchased the following:
                Acrylic Buret:

Burette/Tube Clamp:

Sodium Hydroxide Reagent, 0.1N:

Phenolphthalein:

Our lab already had the stand, stir plate and pH meter.
                Clarke Pelz
                Cynosure Brewing

Comment

Working...
                X