Kettle Heater vs Calandria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kettle Heater vs Calandria

I'd like to decrease the amount of time it takes to get our wort up to boil as during a double brew day this would shave off a considerable amount of time. Our boil is adequate, it could be more vigorous but I'm concerned about the impact that might have on flavor as I'm quite pleased with how our brews currently taste.

Anyone with any experience on this matter? What I'm asking is:

A) Are my thoughts about a more vigorous boil and flavor impact (potential off-flavors?) valid? If not, a more vigorous boil would shorten our brew time which again during a double-brew day would be very welcome.

B) Is my idea to improve how quickly our wort comes to a boil using a kettle heater good, or is an external calandria the way to go?

C) Any recommendation on manufacturers / suppliers of this equipment?

Thank you!

Kettle heater vs Calandria

Hi Fastricky,

I design and build direct fired calandrias. Calandrias have many advantages whether steam heated or direct fired.

To answer your questions:

a. Whilst I have no first hand experience of brewing with a calandria, it is reported that both hop utilisation is improved and the hot break is improved. Heat transfer is improved so reducing the risk of excessive caramelisation. Further, the vigorous boil enhances the liberation of undesirable volatiles, e.g. DMS. I have not had nor read about any untoward effects on flavour. It is said that boiling times can reduced to 60 minutes with an accompanying evaporation of 6%, but quite clearly this depends on your brewing style. One of my customers refers to his as "his secret weapon", but he will not tell me what he means!

b. Heating of the wort can be started as soon as there is enough wort to fill and satisfactorily circulate through the calandria, so it is not necessary to fill to cover the heating jacket(s) before heat can be applied to the copper. Further, because of the turbulent flow through the calandria, higher rates of heat transfer are possible. Using heated jacket is not going to produce turbulence in the early stages of heating the wort and will only occur once boiling starts (unless you use a stirrer as you might do in a chemical reactor).

c. If you wish to make contact directly my e mail is mike@michaelgeorgeassociates.com

I hope this has been some help. Calandrias are deceptively simple, but intriguingly complex.

Best regards,
    Michael George.

Comment

Kettle heater vs Calandria

Hi Fastricky,

I design and build direct fired calandrias. Calandrias have many advantages whether steam heated or direct fired.

To answer your questions:

a. Whilst I have no first hand experience of brewing with a calandria, it is reported that both hop utilisation is improved and the hot break is improved. Heat transfer is improved so reducing the risk of excessive caramelisation. Further, the vigorous boil enhances the liberation of undesirable volatiles, e.g. DMS. I have not had nor read about any untoward effects on flavour. It is said that boiling times can reduced to 60 minutes with an accompanying evaporation of 6%, but quite clearly this depends on your brewing style. One of my customers refers to his as "his secret weapon", but he will not tell me what he means!

b. Heating of the wort can be started as soon as there is enough wort to fill and satisfactorily circulate through the calandria, so it is not necessary to fill to cover the heating jacket(s) before heat can be applied to the copper. Further, because of the turbulent flow through the calandria, higher rates of heat transfer are possible. Using heated jacket is not going to produce turbulence in the early stages of heating the wort and will only occur once boiling starts (unless you use a stirrer as you might do in a chemical reactor).

c. If you wish to make contact directly my e mail is mike@michaelgeorgeassociates.com

I hope this has been some help. Calandrias are deceptively simple, but intriguingly complex.

Best regards,
      Michael George.

Comment

Working...
      X