No announcement yet.

LAGER Brewers- help with temperature targeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im not too worried about the actual collEcting of the yeast, i think they can do that pretty reliably. Cleaning with hot caustic goes along way. Mostly im wondering about the actual timeline of what days to start collecting, and when to stop and dump the high floc stragglers. Especially as we are in a brewpub setting so it could be 2-3 weeks between brews. It might not even be worth it to reuse with that long of a delay, but i did manage to find some 10 gal cornies which isjust enough size to make a starter and wake yeast up again. But it might be more trouble than just pitching new brick for $100.

As for the tank diameter- its wide. I dont have an exact measurement but id say theyre probly 4' wide inside. Pretty wide as opposed to tall and thin.

Comment

I generally harvest a couple days post crash. That works for me, but other people have different opinions. Like a lot of things there is no one right answer.

With that kind of time between uses you might want take additional steps; feeding, etc. I probably wouldn't bother with all that since you're using dry to begin with, the savings might not be worth the hassle.

Comment

If its a 60 degree cone, then it sounds like there isn't a lot of side wall, just cone and a dome on top. Our 10bbl FV with 60 degree cones are only 3'6", and the sample port is at ~3-4bbl. If it is mostly cone with very little side wall, this could also be an issue for good convection, really wide would leave a big dead zone in the center I would think. If it is wider than a 60 degree, that is another issue.

Comment

again- without having actually measured i'm just estimating here, but the pitch on the 4bbl cones matches the one on our 5bbl which i know is 60 degree. but the width is what i think might be the issue, as i noted way back at the beginning, i'd guess this sucker is almost 40/60 cone to body. although to be fair, the newer 5bbl is not that much different in terms of proportions.

i'm trying to sell these two, so hopefully that means the new ones we order can be requested in a taller/skinnier shape to help with the convection.

as for yeast harvesting, we typically did a dump around 50% attenuation for the dead and the early birds, then pulled at FG and sometimes again at crash if depending the strain. didnt want to nudge the attenuation up but also didnt want the absolute last stragglers that had to be crashed out either. need to look into what we would be doing to make our starters (i.e. dried extract, having asst do a small 10gal mash, etc) and see if its worth it vs just pitching a fresh brick.

Comment

Working...
          X