Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tank Chilling Issues

Hi all,

We have a GD-10H that we installed in December of 2015 that was cooling 4x10Bbl dual jacket, uninsulated fermenters, 1 10Bbl single jacket insulated brite beer tank, and 1 10Bbl single jacket, insulated cold liquor tank. The brite beer tank was about twice the distance off of the loop, but it would cool just fine. We have now added a 20Bbl dual jacket, insulated fermenter and replaced the old brite tank with a new 20Bbl triple jacket, insulated brite beer tank.

We have filled the brite up with 10Bbl's on a couple of occasions and are having trouble getting the beer down to bottling temperatures. The only thing that really changed was the tanks and additional cooling, but we are not crashing multiple tanks at once and the ferments are not calling for a great deal of glycol.

Does anyone have typical times for crashing beers? I want to know if we are way off. We are thinking that the extra run mixed with the new tanks has created enough resistance to be greater than or equal to the prv in the glycol return line and is allowing the glycol to partially bypass the tank, thus decreasing flow. The tanks were made in China, and I am looking for any feedback or similar experiences.

Cheers,
    Scott

I bet your cooling jackets and thermowells are not in a great place for the 20bbl brite to be half full.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by jebzter View Post
      I bet your cooling jackets and thermowells are not in a great place for the 20bbl brite to be half full.
      I am pretty sure that is not the case. The thermowell is well within the beer and we are only running glycol through the bottom two jackets that come in contact with the beer. Thanks for dropping some thoughts.

Comment

To answer more of your first question, we have 20 bbl tanks, two zones. Crashing from 55 to 33 takes around 18 hours, 68 to 33 takes 24. In most situations, the recommended crashing times is 10F per 12 hours.

Comment

Hey Scott,

How cold are you able to get the beer in the fermenter? I hold fermenters at 33 several days before sending beer to BBT. Gycol is at 27-31, takes about 18 hours to cool 15bbl tanks from 60 to 33. I am cooling one now and its taken 10 hours from 60 to 37.

Reach out if you want more info.

Cheers,

Rich DeLano
          rich@thebrewinglair.com
          Last edited by Rooh; 07-24-2017, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Hey Scott,

You might want to try flushing your cooling jackets, forward and reverse flow, to make sure there is no manufacturing crap cramping your flow. One of my tanks jackets looked nasty when I got it, so I did an acid cycle on them to clean it up before putting into service.

Cheers,

Rich DeLano
            rich@thebrewinglair.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think it may be a combination of problems including potential resistance created from distance to the actual glycol main loop, but we are going to run some acid through the tanks as there was a bit of debris that released during the initial pressure test.

Hopefully that improves the situation. Rich, we need to grab a beer soon.

Cheers,
              Scott

Comment

Working...
              X